How Can I Get Permanent Plumped Lips?

I am tired of getting restyaln injections for my lips...what works to get permenent lip plumping?

Permanent lip augmentations

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The surgical lip lift and silicone lip implants both give permanent results and these are very safe and effective. Fat and fillers can look great and I do them all the time but they are temporary. When a pateint is tired of coming in every 6 months for lip augmenation I will offfer them on of the permanent options and these people are very happy with the results.

Permalip Impants are safe and predictable

If you want to avoid repetitive lip injections that can be painful and expensive, Permalip implants are a safe and predictable alternative.  Whether you have naturally thin lips or have lost volume in your lips due to the aging process, these implants provide a quick, customizable (and reversible!) way to create fuller, plumper lips and reduce fine wrinkles around the mouth.

Daniel J. Leeman, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip implants with Surgisil

Lip implanting has a sordid past.  Over the years there have been many brands and styles.  It wasn't until I started using Surgisil Implants that I embraced the procedure.  These implants are made of silastic and have a "gummy bear" feel.  The procedure itself takes only 20 minutes and you can drive yourself home.  Surgisil lip implants are quite easy to remove and return your lip to its pre-surgical shape/size should you change your mind. 

You can upsize or downsize the implants.  Bruising and swelling are mild.  The procedure is done through a tiny little incision that typically leaves no discernible scar.  Kissing partners don't feel the implant, however you can feel the implant if you grasp or chew on your lip.  I have never seen an implant get infected, but should an infection occur, it is possible that permanent damage to your lip could result.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are several options for lip augmentation, but only...

There are several options for lip augmentation, but only two for permanent lip augmentation: autologous fat or implants.

There are no permanent synthetic fillers available for use in the lips. Some physicians have used silicone injections into the lips with good results, but as mentioned, if the results are not as desired it is impossible to correct.

Autologous fat, or fat from the belly or thighs, can be harvested and injected into the lips. It may take 2 or 3 injections to get things just right but it will produce permanent results. In my practice, I suggest patients have temporary filler injections in the lips first to be sure that they like the fuller look. I would then do fat transfer when the temporary filler wears off.

Another option for lip augmentation is implant placement. Currently there are several implants available including ePTFE (Gore-Tex) implants and solid silicone implants. These can be placed using local anesthesia but do run the risk of extrusion, becoming infected, and not staying the desired location.

Again, when determining your best option, seek out a surgeon who has several techniques he uses so that he can give you a well rounded assessment.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Beware of implants for permanent lip augmentation

The appeal of permanent implants for lip augmentation is that they are permanent. But realize that the problems they can cause can be permanent too. The advantage of injectable fillers like Juvederm or Restylane is that although they last several months to a year, they are NOT permanent. When they go away, they don't leave any damage behind.

Permanent implants on the other hand can get infected, break, or extrude, all of which can cause permanent scar tissue and disfigurement. Permanent implants will also be a problem as the surounding lip tissues atrophy with age. They will become visible and likely need revision or removal - so they really aren't "permanent" anyway.

Fat injection is a "permanent" option that has the advantage of using your own tissue, but has some disadvantages of being somewhat unpredictable and often needing additonal procedures.

There are many different materials used for permanent...

There are many different materials used for permanent lip augmentation. My preference is your own fat because it feels and looks natural when properly performed.

Fat transfer initially looks over-corrected for a few weeks. Approximately 50-60% of the fat transferred "takes". What is present after 6 months is permanent, alive fat. Additional touch ups can be performed if necessary.

With any lip augmentation expect your lips to be bruised for 5-7 days, and swollen for a few weeks.

Other permanent lip augmentation materials include Gor-tex (Soft-form), fascia (your own tissue taken from a muscle in your temple area), Silicone (be careful), Biomed (in Canada), and most recently Vera-fil (a saline filled implant).

I would advise that you try temporary fillers first to make sure of the size and shape of the lips that you prefer prior to having a permanent implant placed.

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to get permanent plumped lips

Lip Implants do not wear off like temporary injectables. Temporary injectables are associated with repeat treatments every few months as the body breaks down the filler. Therefore, repetitive, painful, and costly injection procedures are required indefinitely to be maintained. Permanent, or long-term fillers, also exist. While this type of filler does not need to be repeated regularly, they can be very difficult to remove. If an undesirable appearance results, or if a patient wishes to revert to their original appearance, this may be difficult to accomplish. Perma Facial Implant™ has the advantage of being both permanent, yet easily reversible, giving it the best of both worlds

Saul Lahijani, MD
Los Angeles Physician

Various implant choices

Hi,

There are several permanent options for lip augmentation, including:

1. Permalip solid silicone implants. These come in 3 sizes, 3mm, 4 mm and 5 mm depending on desired "plumpage." 

2. GoreTex. This is a synthetic material that can be implanted, it is generally less predictable and tends to have more complications associated with it.

3. Dermal fat graft. This is an autogenous implant - meaning derived from the patients own tissue. It requires an incision and removal of a strip of skin and fat from a hidden donor site. Once the graft is prepared (removing the epidermis) it is implanted in the same way as the Permalip implant. This type of implant is soft and integrates into the normal lip tissue. Scar tissue is less predictable here and removing the implant if the results are unsatisfactory becomes more challenging. 

4. Injection of medical grade silicone. This procedure involves injection of medical grade silicone in a microdroplet technique into the lips. This should only be done by someone who does MANY silicone injections daily as this is very technically challenging. 

It is imperative to seek consultation from an expert prior to performing permanent lip augmentation.

Mehdi Sina, MD

Mehdi Sina, MD

Options for Permanent Lip Augmentation?

Good Day. Thank you for your question.

Permanent Lip Augmentation:

A soft silastic implant for lip augmentation satisfies the following  criteria.

The optimal lip augmentation method would be accepted by the host, modifiable, adjustable, reversible, non-palpable or having a natural feel, and permanent. The aesthetic procedure should be brief, low risk, and simple to perform with a low learning curve.  It should require local anesthesia and provide a rapid, low morbidity recovery. 

Other permanent alternatives are Bellafill filler along the lip border (vermillion), although hit cannot be used in the bulk of the lip, or using your own tissues, such as scar, skin (dermis) and fat.

Best of luck to you.

Robert J. Troell, MD, FACS
Las Vegas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Long lasting lip augmentation options

For patients who do not like to keep doing fillers there are other options. Fat grafting is done like any other fat grafting procedure in the face. Fat is harvested from abdomen or thighs and then placed in the lips. The advantages of fat grafting are long lasting result, using patient’s own fat, soft material, and long lasting. The downsides are occasional lumpiness which can be treated in most cases. The recovery is longer than fillers as there is more swelling and bruising with fat grafting.

Another option is dermal fat graft. Fat and dermis is harvest from the skin either for this purpose alone or in many cases we take skin excised from the forehead or facelift surgery and use it in the lips. The skin is removed and the dermis (layer under the skin) and fat are shaped and placed carefully in the lip through small hidden incisions at the corners of the mouth.

If patient’s own tissue is not taken, a synthetic implant can be used. There are a variety of implants and shapes. The most popular are the silicon implants. They come in various sizes and they are chosen based on patient’s goals and surgeon judgement. The implants are placed through small incisions on the sides of the lip and ‘slid’ in place. Disadvantages of lip implants are edema and bruising so recovery is a little longer than fillers. Also it is synthetic so it has a higher risk of infection or reactions but these risks are still very low.

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD