What is the purpose of the surgical bra 24/7?

I wanted to know why most surgeons want a the surgical bra on for all day / all night during the first couple of weeks of a BA? I have mine on and will continue to wear it until my surgeon says otherwise. There are times during the day though, especially at night, were I would like to not have it on. Is it necessary to be on 24/7 for just a few days? Weeks? Thanks in advance!

Surgical bras

Surgical bras are worn for support and comfort after surgery. You should talk to your surgeon about their  preferred specific recommendations. We all have different post op regimens, I  also have my patients wear supportive bras for 4-6 weeks post op. a compromise would be taking your support bra off at night so long as you are sleeping on your back but you must clear this with your surgeon

Surgical bra after breast aug

Thanks for your questions. Surgical bras are worn for support and comfort after surgery. You should talk to your surgeon about their specific recommendations. We all have different post op regimens, I have my patients wear supportive bras for 6 weeks post op. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Surgical bra

It is very important for you to follow your plastic surgeon's post operative care instructions. Each surgeon has their own set of protocols and reasons why they want you to wear the surgical bra vary quite a bit, depending on their technique. Best of luck in your recovery!

Fred Hackney, MD

Post Surgical Bra wear

Thank you for your question. Each Plastic Surgeon has a different protocol regarding post-surgical bra wear. I advise my patients to wear their bra 23 hours a day for the first month. I have found that it helps with swelling and pain during the recovery period. I would recommend discussing this with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Hope this helps.

Each surgeon has her/his own post op regimen for breast augmentation based on the technique they are comfortable with. For me, I make my patients wear a bra for post op support for a week then off the bra for a month. Breasts are better supported when walking, sleeping, going down the stairs etc.They weight of the breasts and implants will not pull on stitches or the wound.

Azita Madjidi, MD

Bra after augment

Wear of the bra is an important component of predictable healing after an augmentation.  While the regimen may vary, every plastic surgeon I know recommends use of a bra during the post-op period to ensure that the implants stay where we want them.

Surgical Bra after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  I recommend my patients wear a compression bra after breast augmentation 24/7 for the first 3 weeks and then during the day for the next 3 weeks.  This aids to reduce swelling after breast augmentation surgery.  It is always best to check with your surgeon to see what their recommendations are after surgery, as it can vary slightly from physician to physician.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Post Op Bra Wear

Surgical bras will usually be advised to aid with breast support and to reduce swelling. I advise my patients wear theirs for 8 weeks day and night, but your Plastic Surgeon may have a different preferred protocol. Just ask them,

All the best

Surgical bra

I will use bras for some patients and a band above the breasts for some.  In others, I will use a cross shaped garment.  My point is that the surgeon will vary the post operative garment based on your preoperative anatomy, chest wall shape, surgical procedure performed, and how he/she wants the healing to occur.  Best to ask you PS.  Its a good sign your PS has given you specific instructions and is making sure you follow them.  

Edward J. Ricciardelli, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Surgical bra

I would discuss any concerns you have with your PS. Bras are not always required but it depends on the reasons why your surgeon has recommended the bra.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon