3 weeks post op. Breasts look come shaped?

I just had a ba 3 weeks ago and my breadts are very cone shaped. They are still tight, high, and hard to the touch. From the side it looks like a bump on the top then nothing on the bottom under the nipple. I was cleared to wear underwire bras and the bottom part does not fill out so they are very uncomfortable. How long does it take for them to even out? And will the bottom portion of my breast (under nipples) look larger than it does now? Thanks

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Shaping of the breast after breast augmentation

The breast will go through different appearances as time passes after surgery in most cases. They should soften and fill the lower pole of the breast in most cases. This process usually takes 3 to 6 months in my experience. Keep in touch with your surgeon to ensure your breast are healing properly.

Good luck

Wait for some time

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

Breast augmentation

Often it can take 3-4 months or longer for the implants to settle into the pocket. Be patient with the results.

3 weeks PostOp. Breasts look cone-shaped?

Thank you for sharing your question and I can understand your current apprehension about your breast appearance.   Immediately after surgery the swelling that takes place in your chest muscles and breast skin causes your implants to sit high and flat against your chest wall.  This leaves the lower portion of your breasts looking empty.  As this swelling resolves the volume within the implant will redistribute to the lower pole of your breasts, stretching out the skin and leaving you with a more natural result, and which fills out your bra cup.  I know waiting is difficult, but hang in there, you should see a steady improvement in your appearance at about 6-8 weeks after surgery.  Best wishes. 

Breast Augmentation Healing

Thank you for your question. After breast augmentation, it is normal for the breast implants to sit high and be hard to the touch, boxy looking and flat underneath. As your tissues expand to accommodate the implants, you will notice that your breasts will round out, lose their shelf on top, and become softer. This process takes approximately 12 weeks on average, but can take as long as 6 months. It is best to discuss your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon for reassurance.

Breast shape after BA

It will take several weeks to months for your implants to settle depending on the implant type and technique your surgeon used to place the implants. Usually at 3 weeks out they will be a little more settled than it sounds, but this process just takes longer in some patients than others. Continue to f/u with your surgeon and things will hopefully settle properly with time. 

Breast augmentation: When do they settle and soften?

The bump on the top is your implant. The skin under your breasts stretches and the implant settles about 1 percent a day for the first three months. Then the shaping and softening continues but much more slowly till about 9 to 12 months. So currently you are only about 15 percent settled, shaped and soft. Hope this information is reassuring. Be patient and good luck. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Cone shaped breast

Thank you for your question. You are in early phase in healing. Your breasts will continue to change in the coming few weeks. Without seeing pre and post op pictures will be hard to comment. Please follow instructions from your PS