Can I remove my compression bandages 8 days after my breast augmentation?

I had my breast augmentation 8 days ago with 300cc under the muscle with silicone monobloc textured implants. My surgeon tells all patients that the compression bandage needs to stay on for 2 weeks. I am allergic to elastoplast and I'm having a reaction to them. My surgeon has advise to take antihistamines but keep the bandages on. He is in Belgium and I am in the UK so I can't physically go to see him. I can't see why I can't just go straight into a sports bra now. Would this cause me problems?

Wait for some time

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

I think that is crazy to keep wearing a compression garment for 2 weeks straight!!

i let my patients shower the next day after surgery and they wear a sports bra only. i think it is nuts if you are itchy and having a reaction to have to keep wearing the same compression dressing. is he letting you shower?

go see a board certified surgeon in your area.

good luck

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Without examining you or seeing photos its difficult to give specific advice but its always best to try and follow your surgeons advice. If you are having a very serious reaction then you may need to remove the bandages and switch to a sports bra. Consider seeing a doctor in your area to be examined if you really aren't sure what to do. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Breast garment

Hello. I am thank you for your question. You have to follow your surgeon indications that is really important for a great recovery and results. I do not take out your compression and garment because your breast implants can move. 

Argeny Mercedes Guzman, MD

Bandages after BBA

Thanks for your question.  Each surgeon has their own routine post op. I usually use skin glue over the incisions, and allow my patients to remove the dressings and shoer in 48 hours.  At that point, they are switched to sport bra/surgical bra. I personally don't think that leaving a dressing on for 2 weeks is a good idea, as the bacterial count on the skin will rise dramatically over that time. Unfortunately, a problem with traveling out of your local area for surgery is not having easy access to your doctor.  Hope this helps.  Best Regards.