Why did my Plastic Surgeon use smaller Implants? Can I have a second surgery?

I had breast augmentation 1 month ago. At my consultation I asked for 425cc implants. Immediately after surgery I was told she could only place 300cc's. While I'm happy to have larger breasts, I would really like to have larger ones. I am 5'5, 118 lbs. Before surgery I was a 32A. I am not sure what my cup size is now, but I am thinking it may be a small C. Is it common for surgeons to have to go smaller? How soon can I go bigger?

Breast augmentation size and revisions

It sounds like you chose an ethical, conscientious surgeon.  Implants are chosen based on your breast measurements and desired cosmetic outcome.  While a 125cc difference is quite a bit, if your body wouldn't safely hold that large an implant, you are best served with one that doesn't stress your tissues as much.  Discuss this with your surgeon.

While you can "upsize" once your tissues relax, I'd make sure that is what you really want, and that you're willing to accept what comes along with the temporary "upgrade" - more surgery to correct too large an implant (including a new, smaller implant and a breast lift).  Again, discuss your issues and the possible outcomes of upsizing with your surgeon, and the two of you can come to a decision that is best for you.

Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Did my surgeon go too small with the breast implant?

thanks for the question.  Congratulations on having a breast augmentation, going from an A cup to a C cup!  This size difference sounds to be very good.  You have heard of the overused expression " size matters " , and this was never more appropriate than when considering having a breast augmentation!   The potential for having an increase in breast size with the use of an implant should be determined by the width, height, stretchability of both the breast tissue and the pectoral muscle( if you had your implant placed under the muscle).  Sounds like your surgeon did a good job!  If you desired having this done again in the future with a bigger implant, perhaps your surgeon may agree that in 6 months to a year this might be possible.  Ask him or her about this!

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Implants too small

At the end of the day once the surgeon makes the pocket it can only hold a certin size implant.For example you can't put a gallon of milk into a quart container.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

There was obviously something 'LOST in Translation'... If you consented for 425 cc than received 300 cc implants than you deserve an very good explanation/reason! At 3 months postop, I would replace to the original consented size at the surgeon's cost... 

Smaller implants for breast augmentation

Typically  before breast augmentation  surgery is performed, implant ranges are discussed based on the diameter of the breast and type of breast skin and stretch ability.  If a smaller implant was used, it may be because your muscle and skin was not able to be stretched adequately at the time of surgery to accommodate a larger implant.  Revision surgery can be done but typically surgeons would like to wait at least 9 to 12 months, especially if you're wanting to accommodate a larger implant. This will give your breasts time to stretch too. Hope this helps. 

Tripti Burt, MD
Plainfield Plastic Surgeon

Smaller Implants

Thanks for your question.  Only your plastic surgeon can answer this question.  I can tell you that in my practice, I will discuss the implant size extensively with the patient at her pre op visit.  If the patient selects an implant size that is clearly larger than what I think the skin/breast can accommodate, we have a clear discussion as to what I feel is the largest appropriate size that can fit, and reach a consensus.  If the size selected is at what I consider to be the "upper limit" of what the tissue may be able to handle, I will discuss with the patient the possibility of downsizing slightly if the implant is deemed too large intra-operatively. Having a clear plan avoids surprises/questions afterwards.  I am sure that your PS placed the largest implant he/she felt that your tissue could accommodate. It is better to "back off" a bit and place a smaller implant than force a larger implant and cause over stretching/damage to the tissue.  Usually, a larger implant can be placed after the tissue stretches and accommodates the current implant.  That being said, be careful not to go too large as this can increase your risk of rippling and problems. Discuss your concerns with your PS.  I suggest that you wait at least 3-4 months before making a final determination of your results. Best Regards.

Implant selection preoperatively is useful

Hi, I just added a link that might be helpful...

Hi fontagious 13. The diameter of your implant relative to the diameter of your breast is central to the decision of which implant to use.  The implant projection and the stretch of your soft tissue also play into the selection.  I routinely discuss the implant selection that is reasonable and matches the patient's request & physical examination before surgery--if a patient is leaning towards an implant that does not match, the consequences of placing it are also discussed.   Only your surgeon can answer accurately the question of why they changed the implant size.  Wait to do the exchange a minimum of 3 months so that you can evaluate them after the majority of swelling has resolved and the pocket is mature.  You may even wait longer if there are other milestones coming soon like anticipated pregnancy etc. when breasts enlarge naturally to avoid being too big.  Best wishes,