Nose bleed 6 weeks post op?

Hello! I had a rhinoplasty over a month ago. all the stitches have dissolved and lately I've had some bad allergies. I've also developed a bad habit of using my fingers to try and get the scabs and boogers out. I know disgusting and bad habit, but one nostril had a tad bit of blood on the tissue one time. just now, I was picking at the same nostril and it turned into a full on nosebleed. I've also been accidentally knocking and bumping my nose unintentionally :( have I done any damage?

6 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire. It's too early to make value judgments with 6 weeks after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Nose bleed 6 weeks post op?

Hello Softhrowaway,It is possible you did damage in your nose by picking at crusts.  The crusts indicate the area is still healing.  It is the same as picking a scab on the skin. If you pick too much you can destroy some of the underlying framework (cartilage) of the nose and be left with a hole in your septum.  Knocking and bumping your nose so soon after surgery can also disrupt much of the work that was done.  I'd recommend you follow up with your surgeon sooner rather than later to take a look at everything.  I'd also recommend you keep your finger out of there as continued picking can lead to further damage.  I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Good morning!Even though your sutures have dissolved, the tissue in your nose especially covering your cartilage is still very thin and friable- you very well could have done some damage by picking at it.I would consult with your PS ASAP to be sure you do not have exposed cartilage in your nasal cavity.I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD, FACS