I did a fat transfer in the face but something went wrong? (Photos)

I did fat transfer, but even now that has passed 2 years I still feel the under eyes area swollen and hard with uneven bumps. What can I do now? What do you thing it happened? I feel like I aged with the marks tha it gave to my face now...

Many solutions

Fist of all, dont worry, there are a number of ways to address your concerns. This may be a case of the fat being a little too superficial in a young thin skinned patient. Of course a face to face consultation woudl help decide of that were true. The fat you have can be gently dissolved if that is necessary then, there may be a case for repeat volumisation to the upper cheeks, lid junction in a deeper plane with filler or fat. The key is not to panic, this can be helped.Adam Goodwin

I did a fat transfer in the face but something went wrong?

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, like many other surgical and invasive procedures, fat grafting can have less than favorable outcomes especially in the areas surrounding the eyes. I would recommend that you make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon for a thorough examination and to discuss possible surgical interventions.

Problems with facial fat transfer

Facial fat transfer is finicky and at times unpredictable. The transition of the lower eyelids to the midface is one of the most technically difficult parts of the body to treat. Considering that fat transfer it's less precise and fillers and sometimes unpredictable this area is prone to results that are less than perfect. Without seeing pictures of you before the treatment it's a little hard to give an accurate assessment. Treatment options include adding an additional volume weather done with fat or with fillers or direct surgical excision of the grafted fat. An attempt to liposuction previously grafted facial fat can be difficult and cause problems. To get an accurate assessment you will need in person consultations. This requires a very detailed examination since the area of concern is very complex. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Hello Anne Lyrio,Fat transfer is one of the more unpredictable treatments that is offered.  The reason is the amount of fat that remains can range from 20-80%.  Even with newer techniques that have improved those percentages, it still can be difficult to predict.  The tear trough area which looks like what you had treated has very thin skin which makes any differences in take in the fat graft more noticeable.  There can be options but a lot of it depends on an in person evaluation to feel the areas.  I’d recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon to evaluate and determine what the next best treatment is for you. I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon