What is the typical time frame between a consultation and surgery?

Can I do a consult 5 months in advance before I want to get surgery?

Consultation and Surgery

I would suggest not doing a consult to far in advance.  If you want options for treatment sure, but maybe less than 3 months for the actual treatment plan.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Time frame between a consultation and surgery

It will actually depend on your schedule . It is wise to consult with enough time to process the information received during your consultation and get some routine tests and prepare for surgery . Best wishes 

Katherine Feliz Camilo, MD

A consult early on in the Investigative phase is helpful to plan treatment strategy

Time interval between consult and procedure can be 1wk to 6 months or so typically. to plan the perfect time to allow for patient's and surgeon's schedules  and sometimes caretaker's schedules to come together. It is very individual and should be whatever you need it to be. You should never feel rushed due to promotions etc... Because there will be another preoperative visit about 1-2 weeks prior to a surgical procedure to refresh the medical record.  Sometimes a consult in the early investigative phase of cosmetic decision-making is also nice to develop a personal treatment strategy to be addressed over the next few months.

Ritu Malhotra, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consultation and surgery

Yes, it is often a good idea to go in early for consultation. This will help insure a specific date that you might want as well as clear up any medical issues that could hinder your ability to go ahead with surgery.

Time Frame Between Consult and Surgery

You can do a consult whenever you want. The problem I usually have is that patients want their surgery shortly after consultation `despite a full schedule.  If you're so inclined I suggest you schedule the surgery immediately after consultation. You will need to meet with the surgeon again just  before surgery.

Consultation and Surgery Timing

The time between consultation and surgery has more to do with logistics rather than medical concerns.  Most surgeons and patients need some time to arrange the schedule to facilitate longer cases, shorter cases are typically easier to schedule.  You can certainly have a consult months before your planned surgery date.  Your medical evaluation and results should not be older than 30 days.  In order to plan effectively for time off, help from family, etc., it is helpful to book your procedure and put a deposit so that you can secure a date that you want long in advance.  If you wait too long, you may not get the date that works best for you.  Good luck with your procedure.

Interval between consult and surgery

Yes, 5 months would be a good amount of lead time before your expected/hopeful surgical date. We typically book several months out but occasionally can get patients in sooner if the need arises.Hope that helps and best wishes, Dr. Donath

Alexander Donath, MD, FACS
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Time interval between Consultation and Surgery

The interval between consultation and surgery varies from a week to years. The interval depends on your schedule and that of the surgeon. Busy surgeons are usually booked for months. There is nothing wrong with planning ahead and having one or more consultations early. This allows you both to think and prepare for it as well as to do it at a that that is much better for you. 
Dr. Peter A. Aldea