Do you really need to take medication after Rhinoplasty ?

I don't know if I should do it my future career requires not to take certain medication . And also does the surgeon write on your medical record .One more question after surgery can it be possible that you will have a problem in breathing as the years go by.

Do you really need to take medication after a rhinoplasty?

In our practice, we give patient's pain pills and antinausea medications.  Some patients also require antibiotics.  Always best to check with your operative surgeon.

Rhinoplasty

Most patients are given pain medications among others for postoperative comfort. This is normal and not considered abuse of meds.  A note can come from your doctor if you are getting drug screened in this circumstance.

Medication and Breathing

You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon prior to surgery. While some medications are strongly recommended, others may be completely optional.  Also certain medicines can be easily substituted for your convenience/comfort.  Your breathing should be improved overall by rhinoplasty.  I usually combine rhinoplasty with septoplasty and functional maneuvers to insure my patients not only look great but have a nose that functions well.

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Medications following rhinoplasty

I am assuming that you are worried about taking pain medications, yes? Whether or not you will need a pain medication stronger than Tylenol will really depend on how your body heals and your pain tolerance. In terms of breathing, a functional rhinoplasty should improve your breathing not hinder it. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  Some patients take Tylenol after surgery, but it really depends on your pain tolerance.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD