Could cleaning with Q-tips after Rhinoplasty ruin the results?

5weeks post op from a rhinoplasty. Everyday since my surgery I have been using Q tips to gently clean the inside of my nose such as mucus but I don't really go deep in there. i don't know any other way to clear the mucus. my doctor said it was okay for me to use Qtips to remove the mucus. I use Saline nasal spray before inserting the Qtips. With my Q tips, I use water & an ointment, not hydrogen peroxide because it burns. I just want to know do Q tips ruin the results of my nose? I'm worried

Cleaning after rhinoplasty

As long as you are being gentle, you should be fine.  Your surgeon is the person who knows best in regards to what was done. So, continue to follow his/her instructions and be sure to discuss your concerns with him/her.

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Q-tips after rhinoplasty

No, what you are doing is rather gentle and should not effect your results. I would discuss what you are doing with your surgeon to be absolutely sure.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Cleaning Nose with Q-Tips after Rhinoplasty

Dear kimberleyemm, I would follow your surgeons specific post-operative instructions. I personally use peroxide which can be diluted as it helps dissipate the mucous and blood. I would not want my patient using ointment in their nose. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Cleaning nose after rhinoplasty

Gently cleaning your nose with a moistened Q-tip should be safe after rhinoplasty. It is very unlikely that this maneuver would adversely affect the outcome of your rhinoplasty.

Eric T. Waterman, MD, FACS

Qtips are recommended for cleaning your nostrils after rhinoplasty surgery in our practice.

If full strength peroxide stings, you can try mixing a cap-full of peroxide with a cap-full of water. We recommend using peroxide since it's good for dissolving inspissated mucous and blood. We do not recommend ointments for use in the nose, but nasal saline gel may be helpful for dryness. Thank you. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post rhino care

Thank you for the question and if you are following your surgeons instructions what you are doing should not be a problem

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD