I Have Two Hard Lumps on my Abdomen 7 Weeks After Lipo - What Can I Do to Minimize Them and is This Normal?

i had liposuction on my stomach 7 week ago and my skin has 2 hard lumps that give my abs a wavy appearance .my surgeon told me i have thin skin and that one of the lumps look like its developing into scar tissue. he recomended lymphatic drainage massage. is this normal and will it go away

Lumps After Liposuction?

This is normal in al likelihood and will go away.  You can massage them.  Your doctor could try dilute steroid injections. Ultrasound may help.  Time is the best cure.  Massage, with time, I suggest for another couple of months.  See you surgeon for support and help.  Good luck

PHOTO: Lumps after Lipo on abdomen

AT 7 weeks, you have just completed the proliferative phase of wound healing and firmness and irregularities are not uncommon. Massage, ultrasound and MLD may help expedite scar maturation. I have found that these are often due to folds in improper compression garment wear or waistbands. IF this is the case you may be better off avoiding all compression to the area.

Liposuction lumps

These will often resolve with massaging and time.  I would expect that they would be consideraly softer in 3 to 4 months.

Massage, massage, more massage. Otherwise allow healing for 3 months than have a touch up. From MIami Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Hard Lumps and Bumps after Liposuction

These hard lump and bumps that can develop after a liposuction procedure in the areas treated are fairly common and typically go away with some time and massage.  I would defer to your operating surgeon with regards to massage on these areas but trust in that it usually improves with time.  You are still very early in the healing process so I would caution you from being overly concerned with your results thus far.

Massage or endermologie

Areas can be lumpy after liposuction for months after surgery.  After 1 month, you can massage the ares.  Endermologie can also be used.

Not Uncommon to Have Lumps & Bumps Following Liposuction

It’s not uncommon for patients to have lumps and bumps following liposuction. Contour irregularities may have a variety of potential causes. These may include differential swelling, fat necrosis, hematomas, and seromas. They are usually transient and respond to conservative management with compression garments and massage. Rarely, aspiration is necessary when hematomas and seromas are present. In most cases, these problems have no effect on the long term results of liposuction.

Rarely, revisional liposuction is necessary but this shouldn’t be undertaken for at least six months in most cases. If you’re concerned about residual lumps and bumps following liposuction, it’s important to consult your surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan for this problem. 

Need more time for lumps to go away after liposuction

Liposuction of the lower abdomen especially on woman who have had children is always a questionable area.  If there was good pre-operative elasticity of the skin then  you should be fine.   It will take several more months for you to judge the result.  Liposuction is more about the quality of the skin and the amount of fat you leave behind than the amount of fat you removed.  The lumps and areas of firmness are normal and will resolve with time and massage.  You are still very early in the post operative recovery period and just need more time. 

Hard lumps post liposuction

Hello. This is common to occur post liposuction. Try massaging the area to help reduce hardness. This should work if not, contact your surgeon for evaluation. Best of luck.

Jaime Perez, MD

Lumps after liposuction are quite normal and vary from person to person.

Lumps after liposuction are quite normal and vary from person to person. Time almost always takes care of this. Massage and ultrasound may or may not improve what time and healing will resolve.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon