Hanging columella. Can it be pushed in?

I have already had 2 rhinoplasty a in my nose. However now 7 years later the columella is hanging down more and more. It's more prominent on the left side. Can this be fixed as a outpatient ?

Fixing a hanging columella

Your hanging columella should be able to be repair using revision rhinoplasty techniques.

A common method that I use is a tongue in groove setback technique in which the columella cartilage (medial crura) are pushed upward where they overlap the septum. Once in the proper position the columella can be sutured in place.

I just posted a recent case study of a patient with a similar problem on my rhinoplasty website. You can check it out at my web reference below.

Hanging columella. Can it be pushed in?

Yes, the Columella can be tucked using a simple local procedure which does not require a Rhinoplasty.

Hanging columella?

I do not think you have a hanging columella, I think you have some alar retraction that can be corrected.

Hanging columella

The straight forward answer is Yes your hanging columella can be corrected. I take photos of my patients prior to surgery and show them via photo shopping their images what can be accomplished so when we go to the operating room both I and the patient have the same final result in mind. Look for a board certified PS in your area who is an expert on nasal procedures.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Hanging columella. Can it be pushed in?

There are several ways to address the hanging columella.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Elevation of Hanging Columella

Your columella can be elevated but, depending on the results of an examination, you might consider lowering retracted alar (nostril) rim margins. All of this can be done on an outpatient basis.