How long until scar is white?

it's almost 2 months and my scar is still quite red. I'm causation and I also had lipo. Still feeling the lipo on my back and sides. Sometimes itches. Is that normal.

Scar care after surgery, tummy tuck

Your scar is the tightest it is going to be two months after surgery. You should start seeing improvements in scar appearance in the coming weeks and months. You should check with your plastic surgeon, they may have recommendations on scar care creams they prefer to use. These products may help hasten the appearance of  the mature ("white") scar. Good luck!

Scar color

All scars take about one full year to mature in color and quality. The redness at two months is very normal. You may want to ask your plastic surgeon about using a topical silicone gel or tape to help expedite the healing process.
Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Healing of scars

Thank you for your question.  It is important to remember that a scar being red at 2 months is completely normal.  It can take 6-12 months for scars to turn white.  In order to speed the healing process and to turn the scar from red to white, you should use topical silicone.  Best wishes in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS

Board Certified ENT

Board Certified Plastic Surgery

Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Scar Care?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. I instruct all of my patients to perform daily scar massage and apply a silicone based scar ointment or tape to their incisions. Biocorneum makes an excellent product. It can take up to 12 months for the redness to subside. Please ask your board certified plastic surgeon for specific instructions regarding his or her scar management protocol. Hope this helps!

How long until scar is white?

It is perfectly normal for a scar to be red and itchy at 2 months post op.   It will take from 1 to 2 years for the scar to fully soften and become flatter and white.  There are a number of very good topical scar products that can help speed this process.  Topical silicone scar treatments, hydrocortizone cream, and sun blocks can help. Topical benadryl cream or benadryl pills can help with the itchiness.  Check with your surgeon for their recommendations for the topical products that they would suggest in your case. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Scar proegression after tummy tuck

At two months one would expect the scar to be red and not mature yet.  it takes 12 to 18 months for the scar to settle.  Follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations on scar treatment as it can make a very nice difference. Best wishes.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

How long does it take a scar to fade?

The answer to the question, "How long does it take a scar to fade?" is the unsatisfying, it depends.  Generally, scars have predictable phases.  These are hemostasis, inflammation, proliferation, and maturation.  The first stage of hemostasis occurs during the first three days.  The inflammation during the first 3 weeks.  The proliferation is completed by 6 weeks.  But the maturation phase, when the scar fades and soften can take only a few months or as long as years.  That's why we can give patients good guidance about when to resume activities and what is safe and unsafe to do after surgery, but can't know when your scar will be at its best.  Factors such as genetics and your medical condition play a huge role.  During the maturation phase the scar will be changing and the nerves will be growing back.  From a surgery like a tummy tuck where the scar is under tension  it is common to take at least a year to fade and the strange sensations to stop.

Samuel Beran, MD

Scar Color

• At first scars will appear red.
  • After one or two months, the scar will be pink.
  • It will then take up to one year until you observe your scar's final appearance which should be a white line
  • It is normal at two months to still feel some strange sensations from liposuction on your back/sides.