I'm 16 yrs old. Is this Gynecomastia? (Photo)

16 years old right now

Doctor Answers 7

Is this Gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
After reviewing your picture, and your age (16 years old), I believe this to be a normal
chest.  I would recommend a good workout or training program and proper eating and
save your money for that car you've been wanting!

Dallas Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Concern at 16 Years Old

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.

Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is common for adolescent boys to have some sort of excessive breast growth, but this tends to resolve itself as they approach adulthood. Maintaining a healthy weight also helps reduce the risk of gynecomastia. You don't appear to have gynecomastia based on your photos alone, but you should see your doctor for a better assessment.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the picture.

I believe your chest looks normal for your age and there's no sign of Gyncomastia.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 257 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is difficult to tell from the picture, at most it is minimal gynecomastia. I would not do anything at this time, but would wait a few years and re-evaluate.

Is this Gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the picture. From the frontal view, it does look like some mild gynecomastia. A side and oblique view would help as well. I suggest seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to do an exam and then discuss treatment options. You may be a candidate for a liposuction only procedure, but only an "in-person" exam can really determine that. Good luck.

Eric Desman, MD
Alexandria Plastic Surgeon

Is this Gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Appears as a very mild case that could be corrected via a form of liposuction. Best to seek IN PERSON opinions. 

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.