Will Gynecomastia return if testosterone treatment continues after reduction surgery?

I'm a 64 year old male diagnosed with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism about 15 years ago ( no LH or FSH resulting in little testosterone) I have since been using topical testosterone which in many ways improved my life. However in the last year or so I have noticed breast enlargement . My endocronologist checked and agreed it was gynecomastia., If I had reduction surgery what are the chances that continued testosterone use would cause this to return?

Gynecomastia will not return if the gland was removed.

Sweet and simple :gynecomastia should not return if the gland was removed. If the surgeon will leave too much breast tissue it will return.

The Outcomes of Testosterone Use Following Gynecomastia Surgery

The #recurrence of breast enlargement is uncommon following #gynecomastia surgery. However, it can occur. If this happens, you may require further surgery in the future.

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. 
Therefore, weight gain, steroid use,recreational drug use and have hormonal conditions can contribute to a return of gynecomastia regardless of previous surgical removal and treatments. Each patient is unique and previous #results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. 

Gynecomastia

To best help you, a physical examination or picture evaluation is required in order to determine which procedures and techniques would be best for your case.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon