How Long do I have to wait to get my haircut after an otoplasty?

So basically I had my otoplasty on the 6th August 2016 and now all bandages are removed. The top of my ears are numb and some stitching ( I think it's stiching) is still there behind the ear. As my ears no longer stick out I want my hair short but barbers usually tend to fold the ears and say they can't cut my hair without moving them. How long should I wait because I don't want to cause any damage to my new ears.

Hair Cut Post Otoplasty

Congrats on your surgery! Getting your hair cut shouldn't be a problem. You have to advise the hair dresser of your surgery and make sure you tell them not to bend the ears in any way. Your hair dresser should be able to manage. Be sure to go with a board certified hair dressed :P (kidding) Regards,

Otoplasty and hair care

After a successful otoplasty to improve the position of protruding ears, it is common for the patient to want a new or different hairstyle/haircut.  Many patients of both genders hide their ‘large ears’ with their hair. So a new and shorter style can be exciting. Once the incisions are closed at about a week and the hair stylist/barber is aware not to tug on the newly repositioned ears, it should be safe to get the ‘new do’!  :)

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Haircut after an otoplasty

You may get a haicut as soon as the head bandage comes off and no other one is placed. However, the ear should not be bent forward if there were sutures placed inside for at least 6 weeks or longer. It should be done very, very gently. They should be able to work around the ears.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

A haircut after an otoplasty is possible as soon as the wounds are healed. How quickly this happens depends on which method you had your ears pinned with. If it was done with the minimally invasive Merck stitch method, you can already wash your ears one week after the operation because the only wounds with this method are very tiny needle stitch points, and they are healed more quickly than the incisions of the traditional methods. Additionally, the ears can be bent just as strongly and as often after an operation with the stitch method as could be done before the operation. There is no danger of the ears then protruding again.   

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon

Haircut after otoplasty

While getting a haircut is generally not an issue, consult with your surgeon as each surgeon has his or her own postoperative guidelines. Moreover, your surgeon knows the specifics about you and the scope of the surgery. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Haircut after otoplasty

If you are my patient, I would tell you to wait at least a few weeks and make sure you tell the barber that they should avoid if at all possible bending your ear away from your head. If they can use a comb and pull the hair over the year, then a haircut, in my opinion, could be done anytime. Congratulations on your surgery. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS