Over-harvested donor area? Done in recommended expensive clinic. Minimal Redness but very area on the donor "square"

1 month post FUE & donor very noticeable, square on back of head. Done in an expensive &recommended clinic. Minimal redness but hair is thinner than elsewhere.

Over-harvested donor area

no , it is not over harvested...photos say me that there is no problem for donor area for that time . after 3 months donor site will be much better , redness decrease and hair mass will increase ..

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Over harvesting may be a problem with Follicular Unit Extraction. If you are having issues, it is best to contact your

Over harvesting may be a problem with Follicular Unit Extraction. If you are having issues, it is best to contact your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE over harvesting

Photos can be deceptive but I can see what you are talking about. However at 1 month post procedure you would only expect about 1cm growth of hair so it is early days yet. I suggest you give it a few more weeks and then have a haircut to try and even it out. 

It is possible to get shock loss in the donor area and if this was the case it might take 3-4 months for the hairs to start growing again.

Certainly you should show the appearance of your donor area to your hair transplant surgeon and get their opinion. If they are a reputable clinic they will look after you.

One option if the discrepancy remains after 6 months would be to do some more harvesting around the thinned out area to even things out but this will then limit your options for further recipient area hair restoration in the future.

In the interim, coloured hair sprays are likely to be very effective in camouflaging the problem.

Greg Williams, FRCS (Plast)
London Hair Restoration Surgeon

Over harvested donor area

It seems that you understand the problem. Balding in the donor area comes from over harvesting. The only treatment for this is scalp micropigmentation which we do all of the time for this problem

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon