How long to visibly recover from sliding genioplasty, necklift and neck/chin lipo? 3 weeks?

As a university lecturer, not being noticeable is very important. Still in my thirties, but tired of sloping neck and weak non defined jaw. I do not fancy an implant. I have been informed by one surgeon with good credentials that I will look fine after three weeks. Another told me I would need longer and advised an implant. I am very keen on the surgery, but obvious signs would be terrible. Any advice would be most appreciated. I should add, I had a fue transplant by the same company - v. Good.

How to address your neck

The easiest way to add projection today is with a porous polyethylene chin implant.  Your tissues will grow into it and it will become a permanent and reliable correction that will last a lifetime. It can also provide lateral fullness if desired.   A sliding genioplasty is a reasonable alternative but requires hardware to maintain the bone in an advanced position.  If it doesn't heal properly the result can be lost as the bone recedes back to its prior position.   If you need a lot of advancement the genioplasty may be the best choice nevertheless.  

Providence Plastic Surgeon

How long is it to visibly recover from a genioplasty and a neck lift?

A genioplasty is performed by an oral surgeon under general anesthesia in a hospital setting with an overnight hospital stay.  A neck lift with liposuction and a chin implant procedure are  performed separately by a plastic surgeon or a facial plastic surgeon under general anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure.  If you are going to perform an neck lift and chin implant, visible swelling and bruising should be subsided at 2 weeks.   If you perform a sliding genioplasty and the neck lift procedures, they will need to be separated in time by at least 1 month,  or more.  For more information about neck lifts and neck liposuction, please see the link and the video below

Swelling Cessation after Neck Lift and Liposuction--Add hyperbaric oxygen and venus legacy

It can take a few months for swelling to subside. To speed up healing, you can try hyperbaric oxygen and Venus Legacy radiofrequency treatments. I recommend getting a formal evaluation with an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Planning a neck lift

Thank you for your question about your neck lift.

• I understand your dilemma.
  • If you do not want a chin implant, then just have the neck lift.
  • However a chin implant often improves a result - you may want one done later.
  • Generally people can look fine 3 weeks after a neck lift but no one can guarantee the future.
  • A lot depends on your being confident both in your surgeon and in your knowing you can hide the signs if necessary, such as wearing a scarf around the neck.
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD

How long to visibly recover from sliding genioplasty, necklift and neck/chin lipo?

Hi, non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help with the evaluation. I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  Conversely, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.

Think of facial beauty as something that "must" address all layers of the face including the skeletal structure of the cheeks and chin, the overlying SMAS muscle, amount and position of subcutaneous fat and finally the degree of skin laxity. It's an "urban myth" that pulling tissues over flat cheeks and a weak chin can create a beautiful or handsome face. Similarly, dermal fillers or facial implants alone can't lift and remove excess skin from the face and neck. Natural looking beauty is created by the aesthetic vision of what tissue layers need to be adjusted by what technique and amount.

I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  The recovery is a few days with the chin looking good by 1 month.  In my humble opinion, a sliding genioplasty that requires much more dissection, bone cuts with placement of metal plates and screws to secure the moved bone segment will have a much longer recovery time.  If you have a formal Neck Lift, which seems odd at you're age, the recovery time will be months.  For comparison, I have included some information about a minimally, invasive type facelift.

I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Recovery Neck lift

In my hands 3wks is a reasonable time to expect recovery to the point of being able to return to work. 

You definitely will still have some swelling and bruising still but it should be able to be covered up without any issues.  The genioplasty will lead to some extra edema and swelling compared to an implant but I agree from your description it is a good option for you. 

The recovery process can be improved by many things from diet to compression to ice application and rest. Make sure you discuss all of these with your surgeon. 

Sounds like this is going to be a good change you. 

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon