Neck bands worse 3 months after platysmaplasty. How soon until it can be fixed and what went wrong? (Photo)

Neck lipo with platysma plication and excess skin removal with single under chin incision 12 weeks ago. Bands more prominent and jawline less defined than before. I'm so unhappy. I'm getting married Feb. next year, I'm afraid there won't be time to fix this? I've spent so much money on this already I can't afford botox on top of the cost of this surgery. I got this done so I wouldn't have to spend $500 in btx every few months. I feel so deformed.

Neck Banding / Platysmaplasty

This is a difficult problem to treat from the beginning. At three months out there is still healing and scarring going on as well as some significant edema of the muscle itself. The best advice is to see your surgeon. He/She will be able to give you the most realistic expectations for recovery. 

If you are not able to or unwilling to see your surgeon see someone who is qualified for a facial analysis to see what other options you have. 

Fat grafting is a great adjunct to this procedure and may be able to help. With your wedding coming up you may want to hold off and let this heal completely prior to undergoing any further treatment. 

Hope this helps.

DrC

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Definitely Not Deformed--But lasers and microneedling/prp may help

At 3 months, there is still some degree of inflammation in your neck and several months may need to pass before this resolves. I like fillers to this area in combination with lasers or microneedling/PRP. I suggest seeing an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Banding after surgery

I would recommend talking with your surgeon. My question is whether they tied your platysma muscle tightly together and continued it down the neck to your thyroid cartilage. It looks very thick and bulky from doing a heavy corset low in to the neck. If that is the case, it may be improved by releasing the corset at the cervicomental angle.

Aric K. Park, MD

At 3 months after surgery, there is still tissue reaction and swelling. I Would wait a minimum of 6 months to see your final result. Further surgery can address these issues. I would discuss these issues with your surgeon. Unfortunately, I don't think this can be resolved by February.

Warren J. Katz, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon