Buccal fat removal candidate? (photos)

Hello! I am 22 years old. I wanted to see if I may be a candidate for buccal fat removal. I weight 125-137 pounds and stay between 18%-24% bodyfat. My face does get thinner but still very large.. large cheeks run in my dads side of the family.. they get larger with age ! My paternal cousin, aunt, grandma, and dad have huge cheeks. I even bite them often by accident. I ALWAYS have to countour or edit my photos so i dont look like a huge egg. The photos have makeup+ i slightly suck in my face :/

Buccal fat removal candidate? = possibly #buccalfat #buccalfatremoval #chisealed face

Achieving a chiseled, less chubby face requires to address multiple factors in the face and the body composition to contribute to this physical finding. This analysis will help to determine what is the plastic surgery procedure(s) what could best help to correct a chubby face, thus achieve a slimmer more chilled face. 

Some of the physical findings that may need to be addressed to achieve a slimmer / chiseled face are: 

• Lower anterior cheek fullness: this could be addressed surgically with buccal fat removal 
  • Lower posterior cheek fullness: this could be achieving my treating the masseter muscle ( a masticatory muscle) with Botox. The masseter muscle gives bulk to the lower posterior cheek fullness at the level of the angle of the jaw bone 
  • Overall body fat: weight loss to achieve a normal or low normal weight for the height ( normal BMI) is a must. (most models with chiseled face have  are "skinny" and therefore have a BMI in the low normal range) 
  • Anterior and lateral cheek bone projection: lack of cheek bone projection won't allow to have a chiseled appearance, event if the above factors are achieved. Therefore, it someone has not good cheek bone projection, he or she may require cheek augmentation/ enhancement with either soft tissue fillers like Voluma or cheek implants 

Patients interested in determining if buccal fat  removal may help to achieve a chiseled face should make a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specialized in plastic surgery procedures of the face.

Buccal fat reduction

Stacey, thank you for your question.  While you writing in your concerns, you mentioned the key words that I ask every patient who is considering this procedure - "suck in cheeks" look.  The key with buccal fat surgery is not in removing all of it, but rather in careful reduction that leads to appropriate contouring for your face.  You do have to remember that buccal fat surgery does nothing for your cheekbones - and you have youthful, high cheekbones to start with.  Being overly aggressive can lead to a gaunt, sunken look. That being said, from what you mentioned and based on your pictures, you would do well with appropriate buccal fat reduction as you have realistic expectations of what you want and are looking for.  Best of luck! I hope this helps. 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon