Buccal fat removal or jowl liposuction? (Photo)

I want more of a heart shaped face instead of the squareness that the fatty lower part of my face creates. Would I benefit from buccal fat removal or jowl lipo?

Buccal fat removal or jowl liposuction? = buccal fat removal and cheek augmentation could be options #buccalfat #buccalfatremal

Achieving a chiseled, less chubby face requires to address multiple factors in the face and the body composition to contribute to this physical finding. This analysis will help to determine what is the plastic surgery procedure(s) what could best help to correct a chubby face, thus achieve a slimmer more chilled face. 

Some of the physical findings that may need to be addressed to achieve a slimmer / chiseled face are: 

• Lower anterior cheek fullness: this could be addressed surgically with buccal fat removal 
  • Lower posterior cheek fullness: this could be achieving my treating the masseter muscle ( a masticatory muscle) with Botox. The masseter muscle gives bulk to the lower posterior cheek fullness at the level of the angle of the jaw bone 
  • Anterior and lateral cheek bone projection: lack of cheek bone projection won't allow to have a chiseled appearance, event if the above factors are achieved. Therefore, it someone has not good cheek bone projection, he or she may require cheek augmentation/ enhancement with either soft tissue fillers like Voluma or cheek implants 
  • Saggy facial skin: young people usually doesn't have saggy facial skin, however it may happen.  Patients in the 30s or 40s may have some aging related sagginess that may be improved with soft tissue fillers in the cheeks (which "lifts" the lower facial skin).

Look at my before and after buccal fat removal pictures to see how buccal fat removal with cheek augmentation with fillers helps to address chubby cheeks and achieve a balanced/ chiseled face.

Patients interested in determining if buccal fat  removal may help to achieve a chiseled face should make a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specialized in plastic surgery procedures of the face.

Buccal fat reduction vs lipo

Great question.  You have to be careful with liposuction in that area - you can only do very limited liposuction as attempting liposuction in the buccal fat can be dangerous.  The buccal fat pads are fibrous by their very nature, have branches of the nerve that controls your cheeks, as well as the duct that carries saliva from your glands.  Long story short - lots of important structures are in there that you certainly don't want to blindly liposuction. A careful reduction is always safer.  That being said, you can also do limited microliposuction over the fat pads along the jawline - this can aid in micro contouring.  However, in it of itself, is not a great procedure as it is very limited in what it can accomplish.  Best of luck! I hope some of this helps.  

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon