How safe are jaw implants?

I was wandering how safe are jaw implants? Are they as safe as chin implants or as dangerous as breast implants? I tried searching and tried asking doctors but they think I'm referring to chin implants. Jaw implants aren't talked as much. Is there a reason for that. I need implants in my jaw because one side is weaker than the other, I just want to know if they are safe to put on, and will or may cause health problems when I'm older? Thank u so much doctors for taking time to answer this question.

Jaw implants

jawline implants are made of various materials - the three most common are Silastic, Goretex-like, and Acrylic/'Porex'. All of them have been used for many years and are especially 'safe' in the jawline. The chin can show some bone 'resorption' with the Silastic implants due to the overlying pressure from the 'chin muscle'. But the angle of the jaw does not have that 'backwards pressure' on it.

Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

How safe are jaw implants?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

If the back portion of your jaw line is a bit weak, on one or both sides, this can be augmented without making your face appear masculine by using precise placement of a dermal filler (I prefer using Restylane Lyft).  Jaw implants are far more invasive with significantly more potential side effects than placing a chin implant (through a small incision under the chin) in my humble opinion and should be done with extreme caution in a female face in order to avoid "masculinizing" the face.  

Hope this helps.

Jaw Angle Implants

Jaw angle implants are as safe as any other facial implant. They are solid implants and are not like breast implants which are fluid-filled devices.

Jaw implants

Thanks for your question. Jaw implants are quite safe and are associated with a complication rate similar to that of chin implants.

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon