Migraine RX & Supplements Pre & Post CoolSculpting Procedure?

Must I suspend my migraine medication (Topiramate - generic for Topamax) or supplements (Magnesium) prior to and post CoolSculpting procedure? I understand all anti-inflammatory medications should be suspended before and after the procedure, but are there any issues with this particular drug or supplement used to prevent migraines?

Meds & supplements with CS

Hi Realselfsi.  It is the blood thinning effect of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDS like aspirin, ibuprofen, motrin, aleve, advil etc) and supplements (e.g. fish oil) that can lead to increased bruising, hence the recommendation to avoid them.  Also, part of the CS mechanism of action requires the normal sequence of wound healing to occur to clear the dead fat, which can be interrupted by NSAIDS.  As such, I do not believe either Topiramate or Magnesium will create an issue, but it is safest to ask your physician overseeing the CS procedure.  Some patients experience  mild, short lasting loosened stools related to  increased fat elimination, and high doses of magnesium (over 600 mg/dose) also causes loose stools, so keep this in mind.  Good luck,

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what. The medication will not alter coolsculpting.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Migraine supplements with Coolsculpting

There is no problem with taking these medications. I wouldn't change the doses or skip a dose. Your outcome will be unchanged. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD