Is 26 too young for upper and lower blepharoplasty? (Photo)

My right upper eyelid is almost completely covered and when I smile, I form large bags under my eyes. I've tried many eye creams, eye pads, serums, etc. No matter what makeup or concealer I use, I always look tired and older than what I am. I've consulted a plastic surgeon and he said that I should get it done it if bothers me. However, I am worried that I'm too young and that I'd have to do this again. Do you think I should get this done and will it really fix my problems and for how long?

Condition Of Eyes,Not Age, Determine Candidacy For Blepharoplasty

You have significant drooping in your upper eyelids, which makes you an excellent candidate for blepharoplasty, regardless of your young age. The hooded lids are making you look significantly older than you are. The under-eye area could also be improved by lower blepharoplasty, however, you may opt for fillers to improve this area. As far as needing surgery again, your eyes will continue to age whether you have surgery now or not. You may choose at some point in the future to have another rejuvenating procedure. However, your eyes will look better in 10 years if you get the surgery now, rather than waiting till then. I hope this helps.

Age Isn't a Factor

Age is really not an issue when it comes to aesthetic surgery (including blepharoplasty), provided you are in good health. The primary factor is how concerned you are about the appearance of your eyelids and whether an experienced plastic surgeon can get the results you want. As others have mentioned, it does appear that you could benefit from a conservative upper eyelid procedure to create symmetry. The result will likely last for years, even decades. I would be more cautious about lower eyelid surgery, though. Schedule consultations with more than plastic surgeon to get multiple opinions during in-person exams. 

Derek Ford, MD

eyelid surgery at age 26

The two limited photographs demonstrate different issues,'s such as ptosis and a very strong lower eyelid  muscle.  It does not appear that any lower eyelid surgery would be necessary, and especially do not trim any muscle from the lower lids.  A very conservative upper eyelid surgery can accomplish removing excess skin touching the eyelashes. Ptosis repair may also be necessary.  A thorough In-person examination of the islands is necessary. 

Blepharoplasty and ptosis repair

In the first photograph you appear to have a relative ptosis of the left upper lid. The lower lids have a youthful roll of orbicularis muscle in the pretarsal area. You are not too young for upper or lower eyelid procedures. I would recommend seeing an experienced oculoplastic surgeon who can provide a thorough examination of your lids and orbits, make an accurate diagnosis, and define options for you. Best wishes with your decision.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

Thank you for your question. Blepharoplasty is an effective procedure to reduce eye bags, rejuvenate the eyes, and increase symmetry. Facial plastic surgery is intended to improve the effects of aging but will not stop aging itself. That said, an individual who receives surgery at 26 or 56 will still see the effects of aging over time, but those aging effects are occurring on a younger aesthetic due to the surgery. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Symmetry is beautiful.

The age of the patient is not the primary issue with eyelid surgery, the amount of "deformity" and the level of concern the person has about their appearance is of greater importance.  Fullness of the upper eyelids is normal in younger individuals.  You do have upper lid asymmetry with your right upper lid fuller than your left.  The more symmetrical a person is, the more attractive.  Perhaps conservative reduction of the fullness on the right would be helpful to increase symmetry.  If the upper lids can be made to be more symmetrical, this symmetry should persist throughout your life even with the normal ageing process.  Whether you will want upper eyelid surgery later in life depends on you and how you age and is unrelated to whether you have surgery now.

Donato Viggiano, MD
Port Saint Lucie Plastic Surgeon

Too young for blepharoplasty?

Eyelid surgery is one of those procedures that is often done for older patients to correct signs of aging, but it can be completely appropriate for many young patients as well.  

In your case I would caution you to avoid any surgical procedure on the lower eyelids.  Based on the photos, what you seem to have an issue with is a prominent roll of muscle just under the eyelashes.  This is the normal support muscle for the lower eyelid.  In some people this muscle is prominent when smiling, and you just need to accept that.  If that muscle is weakened with surgery the results can be worse than the minor issues you currently see.

In very select cases a careful placement of a small amount of Botox can help to soften the appearance of that lower eyelid muscle.  The results are temporary (a good thing in this case in the event that you did not love the results).

Fillers might be helpful to blend the transition of the lower eyelids with the cheeks.

You might be a candidate for an upper eyelid procedure, but you will need a detailed in person examination.  There appear to be a few different issues going on with your left upper lid versus the right upper lid.

David W. Rodwell III, MD
Charleston Facial Plastic Surgeon

No age limit for blepharoplasty

There is no specific age limit for lower (and upper blepharoplasty). The key factors are would the patient benefit from them and how the procedures are done. It is important to use minimal invasive technique and avoid surgical appearance. You do appear to be a candidate for lower blepharoplasty and possibly conservative skin only upper blepharoplasty. See links and video below. See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty vs Thermismooth

If you are concerned then try Thermismooth to open up the eyes instead of surgery. 

Regards

Dr J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is 26 Too Young?

I agree with the prevailing opinion that you should be very careful what you ask for.  I would definitely not suggest lower eyelid surgery for you and would require a physical examination to determine if upper eyelid surgery is appropriate.  Remember that the enemy of good is perfect. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon