I have a stye and I don't know how to get rid of it.

Hi, my name is Sarah and I have had a stye on the outside of my bottom eyelid for about 5 days now. I have tried eyedrops for it, stye eye lubricant, and I've tried using a warm cloth to help with the swelling and nothing seems to work. I've been taking ibuprofen for the pain but it won't go away. Any suggestions to get rid of it? Please help!!!

Stye treatment

Styes may take weeks to resolve - and chalazia - months. If you have skin problems such as rosacea, this may contribute to the formation of styes and chalazia. Drops do very little as they don't stay on the edge of the lid for any period of time. Ointments are generally better - either antibiotic or antibiotic-steroid combination. Heat may help over time. Oral agents such as Doxycycline, Minocycline or Tetracycline may be of benefit, but subject you to potential systemic side effects. Injection of steroids are used by some physicians. I have seen styes shrink over months without any more than topical therapy. I would recommend that you see an oculoplastic surgeon or an opththalmologist in your area for examination and recommendations. Best wishes.

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Warm compress and time are essential elements to treatment.

A true stye is not an infection but inflammation due to irritating oils from the meibomian glands that leak into the surrounding skin.  These can take several weeks to settle down.  An early injection with the corticosteroid, Kenalog, will speed the resolution of this issue.  A visit to an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic surgeon is recommended.  When these resolve but a bump is left, it is called a chalazia.  Styes do not always become a chalazia.  When they do, Kenalog injection rather than surgery is highly effective in resolving this chronic nodule.

The best suggestion is to consult your ophthalmologist. You may need antibiotics to calm down the cellulitis and you may need to have the stye opened and drained.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Winchester Facial Plastic Surgeon