My left eyelid is lower than my right. How do I fix it? (photo)

My left eyelid is lower than my right. I notice it most in photos. I don't remember it doing so before a severe stye infected my upper eyelid 5 years ago. I did drain the stye at home and it scabbed over quite a bit. Could that have something to do with it?

Eyelid assymetry

The asymmetry between your lower eyelids is so minute that the chance of there being a substantial difference and better symmetry is very low. Best to leave it alone. Your eyes are beautiful.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Mild upper eyelid ptosis

You have mild upper eyelid ptosis on the left side. An internal ptosis repair is the ideal technique for you. This involves tightening the muscle that lifts the eyelid from the inside of the eyelid so that no external skin incisions are needed. It would be best to see an Oculoplastic surgeon. There are none that I know of in the Tri City area. Your best bet is to make to Seattle or Spokane. I've included a link to some results.

AJ Amadi

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Mild eyelid ptosis

You have slightly left upper eyelid ptosis, which may or may not be related to your history of stye. The treatment is the same whether or not it was stye related, and that is eyelid ptosis surgery. See following link and video. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

It is unlikely that your left upper eyelid ptosis is related to your history of a stye.

While it is possible, you have bilateral upper eyelid ptosis with a compensatory eyebrow elevation.  A detailed consultation with an oculofacial surgeon should determine if you need ptosis surgery on just the heaviest upper eyelid or both upper eyelid. (Quick answer: you need surgery on both upper eyelids).  Ptosis surgery should not just correct the eyelid heaviness but also surgery should repair the upper eyelid lash ptosis.  Most surgeons prefer a posterior approach surgery called a conjunctival Mullerectomy.  However, in my opinion, you need an anterior levator ptosis repair surgery with anchor blepharoplasty.  This will restore a jewel like brightness to the eyes.  It is all in the details.

Mild ptosis

It appears from the photo that you have mild ptosis (drooping) of the left upper eyelid. This can be corrected by tightening the tendon of the muscle (levator) within the eyelid. This can be approached either from the front of the eyelid (lid crease incision) or from the underside of the eyelid. Your surgeon can test you with drops in the office to see if you are a candidate for the latter procedure. This condition will slowly worsen and affect your vision more. Good luck!

Katherine Zamecki, MD, FACS
Danbury Oculoplastic Surgeon

Modest ptosis of the breasts can be created with a tarsorrhaphy.

There is mild ptosis of the left upper lid. To my mind this is a very modest aesthetic problem. Correction can be achieved with a tarsorrhaphy.

Eyelid Ptosis

You might have a little bit of upper eyelid Ptosis on the left.  It could very well be that the infection 5 years ago caused the problem.  It can be fixed with a delicate operation that repairs the elevating muscle and connects it back to the tendon on the eyelid itself.  I've done a couple of these under local anesthesia.

Good Luck!

Thomas P. Sterry, MD