Why does my mouth go to the side when I talk or smile? (photos)

For the past 3 days my bottom lip has been going to the side when i speak, smile, or laugh. What could be the cause of it?

Smile and affected nerves

You should immediately consult a neurologist to examine the nerves of your face to explain this sudden loss of movement. Please keep us posted.  Best, Dr. Green

Facial palsy

This may localized paralysis of the nerve and you need to see physician for evaluation.This Amy respond tovoralxsteroids to minis the time that it persists.

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Mouth Talking Asymmetrical

Please see your physician right away you need a formal evaluation to ensure no nerve or muscular issues.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Nerve palsy

You should contact your physician to evaluate your medical history and perform an exam.  I would not wait.   

Kenneth Sumida, MD
Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Mouth

LuchMama, your depressor anguli oris muscle on your R side is weak; if this happened without provocation you need to see your local MD pronto. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear about your lower lip issues.  Did you only have fillers placed or did you also have Botox three days ago, as your appearance is concerning for a nerve or muscle imbalance.  I would recommend speaking to your injector and showing them your current results.  Based on the treatment method, they can offer you the most likely reason for your lip pulling to the side. 

Lip Changes

Hard to say without physical exam, but you may have developed a mild nerve palsy especially since you describe it as sudden onset. See your personal doctor to evaluate the problem. Good Luck

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Why does my mouth go to the side when I talk or smile?

Hello LuchMama,

Your picture looks like you are showing weakness of a nerve.  This should be evaluated by a physician.  The most common cause of this is nothing to worry about, but it can be the sign of something more serious so prompt evaluation is important if this is new.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon