Do I have to pay the same price for my refills on my lip augmentation as the first time, even though its a very small refill?

Im interested in lip augmentation but Im not too sure how much the cost would be going back after 4-6 months. Is it the same price as the first filler or less?

Cost is based on the amount of material used

If the surgeon uses a 0.4 cc syringe it will cost less than a 1 cc syringe, unless you are going to a place that charges by the procedure, not by the amount of material used, in which case you should go somewhere else.

Hello Areana122003,

Unless you have filler already available there for injection, you would need to purchase another syringe for the touch up.  The cost for this touch up syringe would be expected to be the same as the original cost of a syringe.  Even if you don't use the entire syringe, it cannot be used on anyone else so you end up paying the entire cost. To find out your exact price you can call your injector.  

I hope this helps and good luck.   

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Fillers Long Term, Use Cannulas and a Conservative approach

When you use more filler product there is a charge.  Fillers last a certain amount of time and will require touch ups in the future or replacement.  Best, Dr. Emer.

By syringe

A full syringe is used or discarded .There are fillers with smaller volume but they are short acting fillers .Discuss the coat with the individual office.

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation and touch-ups

Each syringe comes packaged in a single patient use syringe.  If you need a new syringe for a "touch-up", your physician will have to  open a new syringe and you will need to pay for that syringe to use.  Best, Dr. Green

Thank you for your excellent question.  Because fillers come in pre-packaged syringes that can not be used by multiple people patients do have to purchase the entirety of the syringe despite potentially not using the whole amount.  Some physicians will store the leftover filler in their office in the event you may need a touch-up but best to ask your injector's specific policy.  Hope this helps.

Varys by office

This depends on the Doctors office some places will not keep any left over filler and will charge you each time for a whole syringe. I would see what the deal is in the office you use. 

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Lip augmentation HA fillers are usually priced per syringe opened

Most lip augmentation procedures in North America are performed using a commercially prepared hyaluronic acid (eg. Juvederm and Restylane).  When used for lip augmentation, these products will slowly resorb with many patients seek re-injection after 6-9 months.  Manufactures price these products by sterile prepackaged single use syringes usually in 0.8-1.1 ml volumes.

Most treating doctors price lip augmentation by the number of prepackaged syringes opened at a single visit.  Subsequent treatment is usually priced similarly.  

Most patients wish to know 1) can fillers be shared with other patients or friends?  2) what happens to unused product?  3) can the product be stored and used at future visits?  

Firstly, no reputable doctor will share used syringes and needles between patients for fear of disease transmission. However, a freshly opened sterile syringe of hyaluronic acid can be subdivided into smaller quantities with a special syringe connector.  These sterile subdivided quantities can be used in different patients.

Secondly, manufacturers recommend the use of HA fillers as single use product.  Following manufacturer recommendations, most doctors discard unused product.

Thirdly, there exists microbiological studies on bacterial contamination of previously opened and stored HA syringes.  When an opened syringe of HA filler is promptly recapped, the HA product usually remains sterile for up to 6 weeks.  A minority of practitioners use this as the rationale for product storage and subsequent reuse at a later date.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon