How to Fix a Bent Nose? (photo)

hey i'm 21 years old i have got a bent nose.. but i can't remeber getting it broke when i was younger but in picture when i was a kid it was straight... how can i fix my nose i really hate it.. iv been getting bullied since i was a teenager about it please help thanks, bridget

Rhinoplasty Can Fix Bent Nose

Thank you for your question. A full Rhinoplasty can straighten a bent or crooked nose.

When the nasal bones are crooked it is likely that the nasal septum inside is also twisted and will need correction.

The nasal bones and cartilages have "memory" thus recurrence of the bend can occur after surgery.

THere are steps that can be taken to prevent this. It is important that you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced at Rhinoplasty Surgery.

Rhinoplasty surgery may be considered for achieving a straighter nasal appearance, tip rotation, and removal of a dorsal hump.

Based on your photos, your nasal appearance is a bit large and distracting. If you have significant dissatisfaction with the appearance of your nose, consider consulting with several rhinoplasty specialists so you could see if surgery might be right for you.Hope this helps.Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bent Nose

Hi Bridget.  Repair of a bent, or crooked nose, is a reasonable rhinoplasty request.  This may require osteotomies (controlled chiseling of the bones) to "break" the nose and push it back to a midline position.  Hope this is helpful.  Regards, Anand Shah MD

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Straighten Your Nose

There are many techniques for straightening noses.  Much of it depends on how much straightening of the bone and cartilage you will need.  In general, for major changes I usually use the open Rhinoplasty approach.  You may need cartilage grafting as well.  I would seek an evaluation with an experience Rhinoplasty surgeon to review your options.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your posted photos show significant facial bone asymmetry with the left cheek and jaw more prominent than the right, oblique deviation of the nose to the left, a hanging strip of skin between the nostrils. Some of these were likely present when you were young but not as visible as the bones were smaller then. Oblique deviations are usually treated by cutting a strip of cartilage from the back edge of the septum and shifting the remaining cartilage into the midline groove in the underlying bone. The hanging strip of skin is elevated by removing a small strip of cartilage from the bottom of the septum. Additional maneuvers may be required as these photos are not optimal.
I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

How to Fix a Bent Nose?

The posted photos show a need for a rhinoplasty/septaloplasty combination. Seek in person evaluations from boarded rhinoplasty surgeons. 

Crooked nose deformity

It does appear that your nose angulates to the left on the photos you submitted. In addition, you appear to have a tension nose deformity which is pushing your tip downward and also over projecting your nose from your face. This can all be corrected with a rhinoplasty procedure. I would suggest you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon in your area. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Deviated (Bent) Nose

The deviated nose is one of the more challenging problems in rhinoplasty, but extremely satisfying for the patient when the deviation is corrected.  Based on the photos you have provided, you would be a good candidate to consider rhinoplasty.  Also, it appears that you may have a septal deviation which is contributing to the "bent" appearance of you nose.  That should be corrected at the same time as your nose surgery.  The tip and bridge of your nose may be refined during the same surgery. RB

Ramin Behmand, MD

How to fix a bent nose?

Hello, I have reviewed your posted photos and a complete rhinoplasty is indicated in your case. You can look forward to a beautiful result from a good surgeon. Schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon. At your consultation be sure to have the surgeon do some photo imaging so you can get a good idea of what your end result will be. Good luck to you.

David Alessi, MD

How to Fix Crooked Nose in Bullied Teen

Hi Bridget,

Sorry to hear about your nose experience. People can be mean.

The best way to correct you crooked nose is with rhinoplasty.  You should consult with a few experienced rhinoplasty surgeons and then choose your surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon