Is there a place on a saline implant that can withstand a hypodermic needle poke to drain some out? (Photo)

Due to poverty reasons since my breast implants in 1998, I want to fix the problem myself of an overfilled left implant that has never matched the perfectly filled right one. I want to suction out some fluid from the larger breast with a hypodermic needle until it matches the other breast in size. Can it withstand the poke and not rupture or fully leak out to flatness, basically, do they seal up again aftee a needle poke? I'm serious.

Drain Saline from Implant?

There is no such thing as a resealing implant. If you stick it with a needle it will deflate.

Puncturing breast implants?

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. No, there is no place on a saline breast implant that can be "poked" to allow for controlled drainage. In other words, puncturing a breast implant will lead to unpredictable partial or complete deflation. Best wishes.

No

The answer to your question is definitively no. A small needle whole will likely leak either very quickly or over a few days and completely empty the saline implant. It is possible although not recommended to operate to expose the valve and then connect the filling port through the valve and remove some fluid. It's been my experience with doing this that sometimes the valve will lose its integrity and necessitate placing a new implant. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Saline implant

If the shell is disrupted, the implant will leak until it is almost empty.  Depending on the location of the puncture, it may happen over a few days, or take some time.  This is not recommended. 

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

Self-adjustment of a saline implant

Thank you for asking about your saline implants.

• I am sorry you find yourself in this difficult situation.
  • All questions of safety, pain and infection aside, if you puncture your larger implant it will slowly deflate
  • It may take several months, but it will leak and eventually go flat.
  • However a plastic surgeon may be willing as an office procedure to reopen your incision, find the valve and adjust the size.
  • The best person to ask is your original plastic surgeon. You will have to pay a fee but it will be your most affordable option.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Reduce size of saline implant with a needle?

Unfortunately saline implants will deflate if poked with a needle.  The saline will eventually leak out which may happen very quickly or take several days.  This would not be a solution for your current situation.

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon