Will changing the projection of my implants give me a more modest appearance?

I've given myself nearly two years to adjust to my implants, without success. Currently, I have Sientra, high projection, shaped, 235 and 255cc implants. Projection 5.1 and 5.2 cm. Diameter 10.1 and 10.4. They are just too much! I wear a sports bra constantly to minimize. Is switching to a round, moderate plus implant like 235 cc, projection 3.9, diameter 10.5 a reasonable idea to achieve a less pronounced look and still maintain some volume? Please help! I'm sick of sports bras Thank you!

Will Changing Projection Improve Appearance?

Without good photos it is not possible to give specific advice on selection of a particular implant profile. I frequently use Sientra shaped implants but rarely use the high projection version because I feel that they are excessively projecting for the vast majority of patients. It is not clear if this implant was chosen to address a specific issue or problem, but switching  to a lower profile implant should give you a more natural look. If I am going to suggest that a patient consider using a shaped implant I will usually recommend the Classic Base version. 

Based on information you have provided it sounds as if you may have a fairly narrow breast. If you were to stay in a similar volume range (it does not have to be exactly the same) then by changing to a high profile round implant you will loose almost a full centimeter of projection. If you go further down in profile to moderate plus projection at the same volume you will get a bit more reduced projection but the implant will be slightly wider. We can't see if this would be a concern for you, but we are only talking a couple of  milimeters so it is unlikely to be a problem. 

Will changing the projection of my implants give me a more modest look

HI Kdsheila,

I think that it is a little difficult to say without a photo and some other information, such as your breast size and overall body shape. Going down on the projection and volume should help you to have a more modest look. Also, a round implant is better for someone who does not want too much projection. Can you discuss this with your surgeon and see what he/she might recommend?

Dr. Christine Rodgers

Best breast implants for me (revisionary breast surgery)?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery; you should be commended for your patience over the past two years. Yes, generally speaking utilizing a smaller breast implant and/or less projecting breast implant should help you achieve an outcome that you will be happier with.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary (downsizing) breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “maintain some volume” or "less projecting” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. 

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your chosen plastic surgeon to work with you in determining the best plan to achieve your goals.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary, specifically downsizing, breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.  

Implant choices for revision to get a more natural look

There are several things to consider and implant projection is one of the important things when going for a more natural look. Shaped implants in general are more firm so this may be a factor; you could get a softer implant by going to round implants but there may have been a specific reason in terms of your individual anatomy for choosing the shaped implants. 

Richard Baxter, MD

Implant projection and post op look

The use of a breast implant with less projection will often soften the look of the breast with breast implant revision. 

It is difficult to give you a precise answer without a face-to-face exam or at least a review of photographs but the size of the implants that you have are quite conservative for the average patient.  I personally feel it is the high profile nature of the implant that is probably making you feel unnatural in appearance and would be remedied by a similar or smaller volumed mid profile implant.  Another possible consideration would be to transfer your new implants to a subpectoral position if they are currently sub glandular.  Discuss your feelings with your plastic surgeon before making a decision.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Will changing projection give me a more modest appearance?

Yes, by going with an implant with less projection you should be able to achieve your goals.  I would recommend returning to your surgeon and having this discussion in detail.  The implant you mention sounds like it would work for you but you will want to confirm with your surgeon who can look at your measurements and make sure you pick an implant that is appropriate.  Best wishes!

Maida Parkins, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Getting the right shape, width, height and projection of the breast implants is important when trying to achieve a specific look. We don't know your look without photos and so cannot make any comments specific to your situation. You should probably consider going back to your surgeon for a full discussion of what changes would help you feel more comfortable.  We all want our patients to be happy. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

High profile to moderate plus implants

there is no doubt that changing from a high profile implant to a moderate plus implant will lessen your projection. If you stay with the same volume implant, though, I would caution you that you may end up with a little more "side boob" than you want; this can sometimes look a bit more matronly. I might consider going to a moderate plus implant with the same base diameter as before, even if it means slightly less volume. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant projection

Yes, you can decrease the unnatural look of a high profile by going down to a moderate plus or even a moderate. First, look from the front to see if the diameter of the implants you have looks perfect. If it does, ie no big gap in the middle, then keep the same diameter as you go down in size and projection.