Solution to botched nose job? I've developed a hard thickened scar around my tear duct due to mishap (Photos)

Three weeks ago I had a closed rhinoplasty at UCLA Medical Clinic. I reiterated to my doctors that I am prone to hypertrophic scarring and that I was terrified to have incision scars on my outside face. They informed me they could complete the surgery withour visible ones. I awoke and was informed the chisel "slipped" and tore through my tearduct. The area has healed poorly. I've attached photos. It's hard to get a good photo of the area because I naturally have sunken eyes. I'm devastated.

Tear Duct Scar

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this.  As has been stated by others, this is generally an area that heals quite well and has minimal risk of hypertrophic scarring.  I would not recommend jumping in to any type of revision but continue to treat the area with non-invasive or minimally invasive treatments.  Helpful approaches are massages, silicone based creams and steroid injections.  You may even be able to manage with massages and/or the silicone creams alone.  Good luck!

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty complication

I am so sorry to hear about this mishap.  The good news is that it has a good potential of healing well.  You may want to get a second opinion but, regardless, work with your surgeon or another doctor who is an expert at getting things to heal.  Massage, cortisone injections, 5-flourouracil injections, and other modalities can help to nurture a wound so it heals well.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

Solution to botched nose job? I've developed a hard thickened scar around my tear duct due to mishap

Dear natethegreat880,
Thanks for your question.
It will be several months before you know the true extent of scar from healing.  It is important to manage your scars carefully with massage, sunblock, and topical scar creams.  As long as the tear duct continues to function, you won't have other problems.  
In the first 2 months after surgery on the face, scars can look far worse than they actually are.
The area of your injury tends to heal fairly well if you manage it properly.
If the scar doesn't heal well, there are several options for treatment including steroid injections, laser, dermabrasion, and scar revision.
Finally it is important that you keep the lines of communication open between you and your treatment team. They certainly want the best for you.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Scar

I am so sorry to hear this happened. What a terrible thing to experience. Despite this incident having occurred, this area of the body heals quite well usually. With proper treatment, including possible steroid injections and possible laser treatments, I would expect the scar will fade and be barely noticeable.

good luck and hang in there!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scarring from rhinoplasty

That is a very unfortunate and rare event.  I would urge you to work with your surgeons there or someone else locally as information given over the internet might to address you specific scenario.  With that said I have found steroid injections to be helpful.  That area can be challenging so again you need to work with someone knowledgeable.  Silicone tape is also helpful.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Wait. Am I not getting something?

Did the chisel slip on *both* sides, and cut you on both sides? There seems to be a mark on both left and right.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon