Can grafts that contain 2-3-4 hairs be split into several ‘one-hair grafts?

To obtain a natural hairline-temple closure angle, etc. it is key to insert one-hair grafts in the forntline and than gradually grafts from more hairs (for density, etc.) When you have a weak amount of one-hair graft, can a graft that contains 2-3-4 hairs be split into several one-hair grafts? My doctor told me that he would do that to obtain the most natural hairline, etc.but ones I received the detail of number of grafts, hairs/graft I saw that he did not do that (20% one hair grafts).

Hair follicle that contain 2 or 3 or 4 hairs can be split to single hair grafts so that you can use it for the hair line.

Hair follicle that contain 2 or 3 or 4 hairs can be split to single hair grafts so that you can use it for the hair line.  2 or 3 hair grafts on the hair line will not look "natural".

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Splitting grafts

When grafts are split into smaller grafts, it should be done under a microscope. Great care must be taken to be sure that the growth centers in each hair is identified and moved with the split grafts

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Can 2,3, 0r 4 hair grafts be split to make more 1 hair grafts to soften the hair line?

fierens,The answer is yes, and it can be done accurately with a microscope like we use in our office. But in reality wether we are performing FUE or FUT it is seldom if ever needed. Because in FUT about 12% or higher are naturally occurring one hair graft, which should generate 240 or more one hair grafts for the anterior hair line. In FUE of course we select which follicles to harvest, so we can get what we need.
Sincerely,
Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Splitting follicular units to produce single-hair grafts

In patients who need more single-hair grafts than occur naturally in the donor area (this is less likely to be a problem with FUE than with strip harvesting, since the former allows single-hair grafts to be be "cherry-picked"), multi-hair follicular units can be split to produce single-hair grafts; however, this is considered somewhat of a last resort, since many surgeons believe that the follicles in a multi-hair follicular unit are more likely to survive and grow when that follicular unit is kept intact. But I wouldn't get too hung up about the details of the graft count--it sounds as if your surgeon was aware of your concerns and determined to give you a natural looking hairline. Try to be patient, give your surgeon the benefit of the doubt, and wait to see what the next few months bring. If worse comes to absolute worst, you could probably have your hairline softened with a second procedure.

Jonathan Ballon, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Balance

This is a balance because single hair grafts do not live as well and to many of them also can produce atypical over overly thin results.  

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist