Estimated cost for a mini tummy tuck $7,500 - $8,500. I live in Houston, TX. Reasonable?

I had two C-sections and have some lose skin right over the scar. I want a mini tummy tuck. The estimate I was given over the phone was between $7,500 and $8,500. I live in Houston, TX. I thought it was a bit pricy. Am I wrong?

If a minitummy tuck is appropriate, then this may be high, but it may include a great deal of liposuction.

Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year, has great reviews, and has great before and after pictures.

When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider… are some of the potential variables involved.  You will find some average costs of surgery listed on this website and on individual plastic surgeons' websites (including attached link) as well.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Again, I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.  Best wishes.

Obtaining fees over the phone leaves everyone at a disadvantage. Though the fee sounds high only IN PERSON visits allow a boarded PS to examine you and determine a fee. In Miami mini TT alone start from $5,000///

Mini Tummy Tuck in Houston

There are several board certified plastic surgeons in Houston that can help you with your decision. That may be on the high side for a mini tummy tuck so check out the web reference link below for pricing information by doctors in your area. Hope that helps.

Mini Tummy Tuck costs

Surgical fees will vary widely across the country and even in the same county. Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options. We charge $5000 for a Modified Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) inclusive of Surgical Fee, MD Anesthesiologist Costs, Facility Fees, Preoperative Care, and Postoperative Care. Full Abdominoplasty will be extra. Plastic Surgeons (including us) typically review their fees monthly. The current fees are effective through August 31, 2016. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

#MiniTummyTuck - Estimated costs...

Prices vary widely from region to region but even within a given region.  You should first make sure that you are comparing apples to apples - are the surgeons board-certified plastic surgeons, who are the anesthesia providers, do the fees include the surgical facility, etc.

For any given procedure and region you'll need to go around to several different surgeons and see what the prices are.  You may find that you're more comfortable with one surgeon than another, and that may not necessary correspond with the price.  But at least you'll be making a decision after doing the appropriate research.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of RealSelf100

Costs of Surgery

Thank you for your post.
In considering the cost of a Tummy Tuck, you should look at the components of the cost:
1. Surgeons Fee. This is usually the greatest part of the overall cost and can vary immensly from location to location (just like the cost of living varies in each location) as well as in the same location, it can vary from surgeon to surgeon. Usually, a surgeon commanding a higher price is very experienced and has very good results reliably, and is very busy due to the above. This also depends on if a circumferential, tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck, full tummy tuck, mini tummy tuck, and skin only tummy tuck is performed. These are usually less expensive in decreasing order.
2. Anesthesia Fee. This can vary depending on if a board certified MD anesthesiologist is used, vs. a nurse anesthetist, vs. a non-certified nurse, vs. only local anesthesia (an awake procedure). Obviously, the further you go down the line, the cheaper the price. You do get what you pay for.
3. Facility Fee. This can vary if it is a a state/medicare certified facility, vs. the back of a doc's office.
4. Accessories. This includes things like a pain pump, Exparol injections (72 hour long lasting numbing), garments, tissue glues, etc. These are not necessary for a great result, just add to the comfort of a result.
5. Revision. Usually a revision such as dog ears or lowering the scar, or a seroma, is much less that the original surgery, but this depends entirely on what exactly is being done.
6. Add on surgeries are usually discounted, as in a mommy makeover.
7. Insurance. If an insurance based surgery, such as a hernia repair is done at the same time, the tummy tuck may be discounted.
As with anything in life, buyer beware of risks of cutting corners in surgery.
Real Self has average costs of every operations in your location that you can peruse before seeing a surgeon, but keep in mind that the above quality can change from office to office. Choose a surgeon that you are very comfortable with and is board certified.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Thank for your question. 

A tummy tuck starts from $3900 to maximum $5445 with liposuction included . 
You might need a full tummy tuck for the sound of information you are providing .Please put your front, side pictures. These pictures are easier to see if they are taking by someone else not close to the camera. Of the area you are interested only to give you a better answer.

Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon with years of experience and great reviews in your procedure.