Chin implant or lower face lift? (Photo)

im 46 and my jowls are running into my neck! Would i benefit from getting a chin implant would this make my jowls better? I seem to have a very small jaw and chin and wondered if a chin implant would fill it out

Both and more

You are focusing on your chin and jowls and missing the fact that jowls and chin are just lower one third of your face. Just addressing this will draw it into disharmony with rest of your face. This is because you also have sagging in face, eyelids and forehead.
You should plan to have total facelift, forehead lift,eyelids and chin implant for a harmonious outcome.  

Chin implant or lower face lift?

Thanks for your pictures.
It appears that to get the best results, a full facelift and a chin implant would be needed. The facial and neck tissues have descended with age, and fat has accumulated in the neck. This can be greatly improved with a face lift. The chin is receded and a chin implant will give better facial harmony and balance.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant vs. Lower Facelift

The effects on the lower face between a chin implant and a lower facelift are dramatically different although they can be complementary. Only a lower facelift will improve the jowls, not a chin implant. But the chin implant will make the entire jawline and facial profile look better and that will enhance the result of the lower facelift.

Chin implant or lower face lift?

Hi, I have performed many facelifts over the past 30 years.  From the attached photos, the cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), the chin is weak, there is excess facial and neck fat along with excess facial skin evidenced by jowls and nasolabial folds.  These combine to create a rectangular shaped face.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation using a dermal filler (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or with cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks anteriorly that will feminize the entire face.

When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face appear shorter which de-emphasizes the shape and fullness of the lips.  Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found placing a silastic chin implant through a small, curved, incisions under the chin to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty that requires bone cuts with placement of screws and metal plates.

Jowls are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured.  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

•very small incisions
•minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
•can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without anesthesia
•no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
•excess fat can be removed
•excess skin removed
•cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
•most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

Hope this helps.

Chin implant or lower face lift?

It depends upon what you are expecting? A Full Face/Neck lift with chin implant. Vs mini lifts, lipo chin, ThermiTight RF chin, Silhouette lift. You really need OINLY in person opinions... 

Chin implant and lower face neck lift

The photographs demonstrate the facial changes of aging including fatty deposits of the neck and jowls, in addition to a weak and  recessive profile.  Placement of a chin implant will  help give added projection to the chin and help with facial balance and proportions along with support  of the soft tissues.  The goals  of a  lower face and neck lift include removal of fatty deposits in the neck, lifting the jowls, tightening loose facial and neck skin, and tightening loose facial and neck muscles. For many examples of this combination, please see the link and the video below

Chin implant or lower face lift?

Without an in person facial exam is difficult to make sure of the procedures that you need. From the limitations of the views that you provided you most probably will benefit actually from both procedures. A chin implant will improve your side view projection, but in might not improve completely your concerns with the jowls. The jowls will be better addresses by a facelift in my opinion.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant or lower face lift?

Thank you for your question. In looking at your pictures, you present with a weak chin and prejowl notching, jowling and the lose of  jawline definition, marionette lines, and sagging of the face and neck.

You would definitly benefit from a chin-prejowl implant to re-establish your anterior jawline, and you would also be a great canidate for a lower facelift .

Consult with an experienced facial plastic surgeon to be evaluated and dicsuss your options.

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon