Suffering 4m gyno. Can this surgery be performed w/o lipo? How much risk does only gland excision carry? Any reported deaths?

As LIPO involves DVT and PE I don't want to undergo liposuction. After bringing my body fat index down to 12% range i hope I'll be left with only gland tissue. So, does this gland extraction process (mastectomy) also carries risk? If yes, whay are those risk?

Gynecomastia

You are spending too much time on the internet looking at complications. There are far more complications from a surgical excision of gynecomastia. Liposuction and then removal of the button - if there is one, has the lowest incidence of problems. Talk to a board certified plastic surgeon.

Surgical Techniques Treating Gynecomastia

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Lastly, it is crucial you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Gynecomastia surgery

The complications you mentioned are extremely rare after gynecomastia correction- in fact I dont think I have ever seen either with this surgery. Usually gynecomastia correction involves at least some liposuction and this has really revolutionized the procedure with much smaller peri-areolar incisions now for the glanduar excision. I have doubts whether your best result would come from gland excision only and the scar might also be bigger ( like in the old days)

G. Wesley Price, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

You are wise to be concerned about potential risks/complications associated with every surgical procedure; there is no procedure that is completely risk-free. However, correction of gynecomastia with direct excision of tissue and surrounding liposuction surgery is a relatively complication free operation when it comes to concerns such as deep venous thrombosis, pulmonary embolism and/or death. This is likely related to the relatively short duration of surgery and other contributing factors, the may be more  commonly seen with women, as opposed to male patients. Select your plastic surgeon carefully. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work and allow him/her to guide you as to which operation will best achieve your goals. You may find the attached link, dedicated to gynecomastia surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Risks of surgery

DVT and PE risks are multifactorial. Liposuction in and of itself is not the main issue. Often it is related to surgical time, anesthesia, inherent medical conditions, recent surgical history, age, and other contributing conditions.

DVT and PE

the risks of DVT and PE come from prolonged anesthesia times and poor post-operative mobility as well as inadequate fluid administration during the procedure. Liposuction on the chest with gland excision is a relatively fast procedure with very little fluid loss and mobility after surgery is not affected, so the risk is extremely low. The risks of excision are leaving some gland behind  in order to avoid a depression behind the areola with subsequent regrowth or a depression from too much being removed. All of these risks are very low in experienced hands.

Julio Garcia, MD