What is suitable serum to use with microneedling pen for treating face scars? is vitamin c serum suitable ? thank you :) (photo)

Microneedling Serum Selections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your question and the photo attachment! There are a number of serums compatible for microneedling treatment. The kind of serum needed for your scar will depend on the overall goal that you want to achieve as well as the depth of the scars that needs healing.

As for your case, just basing on the photo that you have provided, Vitamin C will work, but I would suggest an additional serum to get better results. This serum such as  a Growth Factor  is a safe and effective product for healing facial scars. Vitamin C, on the other hand, is a good antioxidant and could be helpful in building up collagen. During the microneedling session, Growth Factor could be applied and after the treatment is done, you can apply both Vitamin C to get the best results. Depending on your final assessment, your doctor could recommend a number of treatments to start seeing results.

Go and see your doctor to have your case evaluated. Your doctor should also be able to help in determining the number of sessions needed as well as if there are other products that should be used for your scars. Good luck!

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

I would go with PRP

I used to combine microneedling a lot with HA serum but now I almost exclusively use PRP- which provides a much more consistent result. 

Sameer Bashey, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Tons of Serum Options for Microneedling!

At our office we use a multitude of different serums such as vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, and even PRP (plasma rich protein) with our microneedling treatments.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

What serum should be used with micro-needling for treating facial scars?

Because micro-needling has been shown to enhance delivery of topically applied skin care products, for safety reasons you can only apply products that are "pure" enough for injection into the skin. In my office we use the ProCell Therapies system which combines medical motorized micro-needling with concentrated human growth factor serums made from human stem cells. Growth factors are compounds that act as chemical messengers between cells, turning on and off a variety of cellular functions. Growth factors are known to play a role in cell division, new cell and blood vessel growth, and collagen and elastin production. Those that are produced from human stem cells have been shown to be the most effective in the skin. ProCell Therapies' growth factor serums are made from human stem cells that are derived from bone marrow. Studies have shown these particular growth factors to be highly effective in the skin. Our patients also use a growth factor serum at home after the office treatment and we have been getting excellent results in the treatment of facial scars.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Microneedling serum

We have had amazing results with Biopelle and microneedling. With your acne scarring, I would expect to need at least 5 treatments 4-6 weeks apart.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD