Can my torn earlobe heal by itself without surgery? Is there anything I can apply for a faster healing process? (photos)

Stretched earlobe piercings

Your photos show earlobe piercings which appear stretched and lined with skin.  I do not believe these will heal by themselves, as skin-lined edges are not meant to "heal" to each other.  Your likely best next step is to schedule a consult and earlobe repair--a procedure where the skin lining the stretched piercing is removed, the piercing is closed with sutures, and the earlobe re-pierced in a more favorable position.  These procedures are generally performed by Plastic Surgeons and Dermatologists under local anesthesia.  Good luck!

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not able to heal without surgery

The slit has formed by the earrings partly tearing through, sometimes over a period of time. The gap left behind has new skin on the edges.  This is removed under a local anaesthetic to freshen the edges that can then be sutured together with fine sutures that are removed at about 5 to 7 days. The ears can then be re pierced about 2 to 3 months later.

Alastair J. Platt, FRCS (plast)
Hull Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe tears healing without surgery

Thank you for your question! If you have the opportunity to see your facial plastic surgeon within hours after the tear injury, a more simple suture repair may be performed. Unfortunately, earlobe tears require surgical management whether immediate or delayed. A delayed evaluation would require removal of the epithelial tract prior to suture repair. We typically leave sutures in place for 6-7 days, and will repierce the patients ears approximately I would suggest visiting a board certified facial plastic surgeon with your concerns.

Stephen P. Smith, Jr., MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wont heal

Unfortunately your ear lobes won't heal up without surgery. The skin heals around the tear elongating it if anything rather than shrinking it. There are a couple to techniques that allow the ears to be repierced during the surgery although you should not wear anything other than studs for 4 weeks after. 

Hope that helps. 

Adam Goodwin

Will ear slit fix itself?

Your earlobe slits are not capable of self-repair. The longer they become, the greater the chance that you will lose your earrings as they fall through the holes. The earlobes can be repaired under local anesthetic. It only takes about a half hour. You can expect healed earlobes and repierce at about 8 weeks after repair.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe Tear

Thank you for you inquiry. This happens to so many of my patients. Best would be to repair it surgically for proper healing and aesthetic outcome. Its a quick procedure done with local anesthesia. You can re pierce your ear after a few months. Always see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Torn ear lobe

Hi there and thank you for the question. If your ear lobe is torn acutely, I would go and see a plastic surgeon ASAP. If it was torn sometime ago, as your pictures seem to suggest,then it is best to revise this surgically as you will get a much nicer outcome. Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Ear lobe

The tear will heal with some local care and antibiotic ointment. It will probably heal faster and better with a surgical repair

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

What to do about a torn ear lobe

Based on your pictures, you are going to need surgical repair.  It should be a quick procedure with nice results.  Seek a local facial plastic surgeon get a customized recommendation and quote. 

If you have an acute injury, seek treatment ASAP to help ensure the best result. Best wishes

Michael Bowman, MD
Roanoke Facial Plastic Surgeon

Torn earlobe

I have performed hundreds of earlobe repairs of the years. It is a relatively straightforward procedure that can be done under local in the office. Best of luck.