Can Ear Lobe, Ear Shape Altered in Lower Face Lift Surgery Be Improved or Fixed? (photo)

I had a face lift and have visible scars on my ears. The ear shape has been changed and also one of my ear lobes has been sewn against my face. See photos.

Can Ear Lobe, Ear Shape Altered in Lower Face Lift Surgery Be Improved or Fixed

The #healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away. 

#Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). Some degree of firmness or #lumpiness under the skin is normal after surgery and will resolve with time. Local #massage will speed resolution of this problem, which normally takes 2-4 months to disappear completely.
The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply.
The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen.  Typically, it's best to wait 6 to 12 months depending on the reason for #revision. As with all #cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical #procedure and #revision, there are some risks of unhappy outcome or other complications which your surgeon should discuss with you during your consultation. Your procedure should always be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for another revision surgery.

Revising the Shape of the Earlobe After a Facelift

It is not uncommon for the scar around an earlobe to be a problem after a facelift.  Particular care must be carried out at the time of surgery to prevent this and even then, due to the differences in how people will heal, there can be a problem.  However, to fix these problems, the procedure is usually very simple and can be done under local anesthesia in an exam room without having to go to the OR.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Following the natural contour of the ear in facelift healing, enhancement and revision are possible

No matter what type of facelift was done, there must be some type of incisional scar. For the physician, the scar means an area of healing, but for most people the scar is unsightly.

With the photos you submitted, I can assess that overall the incision and healing looks pretty good. I know that these are close-up pictures and there may be washing out of detail with the flash, but it appears that there’s just a little bit of fold below the opening of the ear. You might benefit from a little skin trimming in that area so it follows the cartilage. Sometimes I have to do those types of revisions with my own patients and these small little enhancements are always possible.

As far as the earlobe is concerned, in our practice we see people who get attached earlobes that weren’t attached or the earlobes are pulled. These patients come in after having surgery done elsewhere and want to get another opinion. Earlobes can be addressed after a face lifting procedure is done. Sometimes the skin regresses a little bit and there’s some tugging. Generally, the way I tuck the skin under the earlobe, particularly in an attached  or detached earlobes, is usually not an issue.

With scars, I can show you some examples of scars that are very wide and unsightly. Often these types of  scars can’t be revised that easily. When we talk about scar revision, sometimes it’s associated with elevating the skin and placing the incisions in a more favorable way. Other times it may be just doing something to camouflage the incisions whether it’s to condition the skin with the use of topical retiniods or something more aggressive like laser treatment.

I think that based on your photos, there doesn’t appear to be a significant amount of unsightly ear scar or facelift scarring. As long as the incision is flat and pretty well camouflaged and it also follows the natural contours of the ear, then it’s okay. You must be careful about being aggressive in terms of planning out any type of revision. I suggest that you speak to your surgeon and discuss these issues. I hope that was helpful, and thanks again for your question.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Earlobe shape can be manipulated in a revision

Earlobes can be altered after you have completely healed if they are unsatisfactory to you.  This procedure is minor and can be done under local.  After the facelift has completely healed, the position of the skin and support tissues will be more fixed, and manipulation of the shape of the earlobe should not be difficult to do .

Ear lobe abnormalities after facelift surgery are easily corrected with a minor procedure.

The depth of the groove between the earlobe and cheek are different in this photograph. Symmetry can be achieved by a simple procedure performed on one earlobe or the other depending on the patient's preference.

Can Ear Lobe, Ear Shape Altered in Lower Face Lift Surgery Be Improved or Fixed?

I have performed Face Lifts for over 25 years and there are two types of ear lobes, dangling and attached.  If the Face Lift patient starts out with the dangling variety, there is a possibility that as the skin is trimmed and the ear lobe heals that it will convert into the attached variety.  If this happens, once the face is healed at several months post Face Lift, a local revision of the earlobe can be done to make it the dangling variety.

Ear shape change after facelift

There is sometimes a tendency for the inferior part of ear to come down a little be after the skin stretches a bit, depending on the deep sutures near the earlobes. I would wait about 6 months after surgery for revision so that you don't have revise it the second time.

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Scar Revisions Around Ears

Your scar placement and the earlobe deformity could be improved by some minor revisions done under local anesthesia. These are fairly straightforward to improve. This will put the finishing touches to your overall facelift result.

Facelif Scar Revision Would Help

Thank you for sharing your photos and questions.  I would agree with your assessment that your facelift scars and earlobes could be improved. The position of the scars, their effect on the tragus and earlobes could all be improved to give them a more natural appearance.  Seek consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in facial procedures to discuss scar revision. Best wishes.

Yes re operation to attach or detach the ear lobe can be done. But PLEASE make sure you truly desire the operation.