Neck Tightness Relief After Facelift?

I had a facelift, and found out that the hardness on the sides of my face may take 6 months to resolve. I ave tightness in my neck the throt area and have a "choking" feeling all the time. I was told that the tightness should be there, that's what the facelift is, but the constant feeling of a lump in my throat is aggravating, and I'm hoping it will relax somewhat eventually, maybe when the face swelling subsides, to give me some relief. Would heat help? The surgery was about 7 weeks ago.

Face lift tightness and swelling

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for asking about your face lift tightness and swelling. This will improve. It takes time. It can be quite distressing but does go away. Best wishes.

Tightness after a facelift

The tightness is normal. It comes from doing muscle work underneath the skin. This will resolve with time. You can help by taking anti-inflammatories (check with your doctor first) and by doing neck stretching excersizes. Neck massages can also help.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck tightness can be normal

While I'm sorry that you are experiencing this discomfort in your neck, please realize that this is completely normal.  While it does not aggravate many patients, sometimes patients do complain of this temporary feeling- it will go away, and realize that it represents great rejuvenation of what was previously excess tissue in the area. 

Uncomfortable Neck Tightness After A Facelift

The very things that can make a facelift look good and last a long time, SMAS techniques and platysmal muscle tightening, can also cause uncomfortable neck tightness. The goods news is that such sensations will not last but can take several months for a few patients to have those sensations subside. While 7 weeks after surgery is an eternity when you have to live it, it is by facelift healing standards not that long.Other than neck stretching and massage, the tincture of more time will be the most beneficial in its resolution.

Neck Tightness Relief After Facelift?

The tightness, in the throat, can be caused by plication of the anterior neck bands that will lessen over the subsequent several wekks, IMHO.  This sensation can often be lessened by using a muscle relaxer prescribed by your Face Lift Surgeon.  Ask your surgeon if this is what was done or if you have a suspension suture running from one end of your neck to the other which can cause a "clothes line" choking effect.  The latter may cause discomfort that persists for months and may require cutting the offending suture for relief.  Hope this helps.

Tightness following facelift

Hello, and sorry to hear about the discomfort you are experiencing following your procedure. 7 weeks is still soon after surgery, and it is not abnormal to be feeling tightness at this time. Light massage can help, but I would only recommend the massage if you can tolerate it.  I would recommend speaking with your surgeon regarding the issues you are experiencing and their specific guidelines. He/she may be able to provide some additional insight on your side effects and what may be done to provide some relief. Hang in there, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Tightness of the neck following a facelift.

As part of a facelift procedure the muscles of the neck, called the platysma are usually sutured together   This helps make a smooth foundation to the neck.  If your muscles were extremely lax then  you will certainly feels some tightness of the neck.  In general stretching exercises and massage will help ease this feeling.  Also as the sensory nerves start to come back the sensation of heaviness can feel better. Usually this sensation will be gone by 3 months, post op.    Discuss your concerns with you plastic surgeon.  

Neck Tightness Relief After Facelift

The healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away. #Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). When the skin is separated from the underlying tissues during surgery, small sensory #nerves are cut. Varying degrees of numbness will be present after surgery and will improve gradually as the nerves reconnect to the skin. This process can take from 2-6 months for face, neck and cheeks, and to 9-12 months for the forehead and scalp. Muscle weakness may also be present around the mouth especially if liposuction is used. This typically recovers fully in the months after surgery. 

As the nerves regenerate, the itching, burning, tingling and shooting #sensations will occur. Ice, moisturizers and gentle #massaging are helpful during this phase of the #healing process. Frequently there is a tight feeling in the neck, jawline and cheek after a facelift. During surgery, not only the skin but the underlying muscles are tightened to create a better and longer lasting result. Additionally, the #swelling will move downward in the first week and the neck will feel even tighter. Do not be alarmed: the sensation will decrease during the first month. 

Some degree of firmness or lumpiness under the skin is normal after surgery and will resolve with time. Local #massage of the areas may accelerate the resolution of this problem, which normally takes 2-4 months to disappear completely.
The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply. The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Neck Tightness Relief Post-Op

Thank you for your question. Neck tightness is unfortunately very normal for patients, but it is a symptom which resolves itself over time. Consult with your plastic surgeon as to your options, but anti-inflammatory meds can be taken if needed.

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Neck tightness after facelift

Tightness in the neck after a face lift is common. This usually improves with time.  If concerned get evaluated by your surgeon.