How Can I Fix One Drooping Eye?

My eyes weren't always uneven. I did something stupid 6 yrs ago and wore one contact on my right eye for a couple of months. My left eyelid drooped, and my left eye looked smaller than my right eye. Is there anything I can do to make my eyes even again? Brow lift? Laser blepharoplasty?

Droop Eyelid Following Contact Lens Use

Your problem is probably related to a mechanical dysfunction of the eyelid. Perhaps the eyelid muscle has become weaker and needs to be tightened or lifted. This can only be determined by consultation with an eyelid specialist. If this turns out to be the cause of the "drooping" then there are a couple of surgical techniques that may be used to elevated the eyelid. Both procedures usually take under 1/2 hour to perform with minimal bruising and downtime. 

I hope you find this helpful.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

This is a complicated question to answer without...

This is a complicated question to answer without examining you, as the options for correction of this problem include blepharoplasty, browlift, or even a ptosis procedure (a procedure for a droopy lid). The best advice I can give you is to seek out a plastic surgeon in your area that is familiar and comfortable with eyelid surgery so that he or she can give you the best options for correction, as the eyelids are best corrected at the first procedure. Second opinions are also a good idea in situations such as these-- remember it's your eyes we're talking about, so find the surgeon you're the most comfortable with.

Dr. S

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Droopy eyelid

A droopy eyelid can be caused by various things.

1. Nerve: nerve damage can cause a droopy eyelid

2. contacts: contact lens wearers can weaken the muscles that lift their eyelids and cause them to droopy

3. Age: Sometimes the muscle that lifts the eyelid can become weak over time

4. Mechanical: If there is a stye or bump on the eyelid from a growth that can weigh down the eyelid and make it droopy

5. Medication: Various medicines but most commonly botox if injected near the eyelid can cause it to become droopy. This wears away with time

6. Allergic reaction: In patients who have eye allergies or even contact lens related allergies, an eyelid can be droopy

The best bet is to see an ophthalmic or oculoplastic plastic surgeon to get this sorted out.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Denver Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fixing one droopy eye

If your eyelid margin (where the lashes are) is lower on one side, that's called ptosis (p is silent) and can be due to a variety of factors. A thorough eye exam will reveal the cause and the extent of the droopy lid and as long as the muscle that raises the lid is strong, the lid can be re-positioned surgically in an outpatient procedure called ptosis repair. This is best done by an oculoplastic surgeon who has specialized training in surgery of the eyelids. 

Michael Loeffler, MD
Pompano Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis

Thank you for your question. it is very difficult to assess someone's eyes/eyelids  based only on photographs.  it is important that you seek consultation with a board certify plastic surgeon for a complete examination of the periocular area.  It is possible that you have eyelid ptosis (droopy eyelid)  and a combination of this repair with some other kind of lower eyelid support procedure (canthopexy/plasty)  may give you the result  you're looking for. Please make sure you do your homework and find the right person who was then many of these procedures before undertaking this surgery.

Gabriel Del Corral, MD, FACS

Eyelid Surgery vs. a Brow Lift

We all have some degree of facial asymmetry, and while I can’t speak to the cause of your specific concerns based on the information available, factors like genetics, sun exposure, and the natural aging process can all affect facial appearance. Determining how to resolve or improve your drooping eyelid will depend on its cause, which can be evaluated during an in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon like myself. However, here is a brief overview of the most likely possibilities:

·       If the drooping is caused by excess skin on your eyelid (which is often a combination of heredity and aging), the best course of action will probably be blepharoplasty, or cosmetic eyelid surgery. Using a subtle and discrete incision in the natural crease of your eyelid, this procedure involves removing excess sagging skin in order to resolve the “hooded” appearance. In most patients, this produces highly long-term results, and it often only needs to be performed once.

·       If, on the other hand, the drooping is caused by laxity in the muscle and/or skin of the left side of your forehead, a brow lift will likely be the better option. Just as its name sounds, a brow lift (or forehead lift) involves lifting sagging skin throughout the forehead, as well as repairing the underlying muscles to offer a firmer and more youthful yet natural look.

I’m glad to see that you’re starting by learning about your options. Just keep in mind that your best source of information will be a consultation with a plastic surgeon (or multiple plastic surgeons) who has directly examined your eyelid and forehead, so that they can make a personal recommendation tailored to your specific needs. Be sure to look for a surgeon who is “board-certified in plastic surgery.” Best of luck!

John L. LeRoy, MD, FACS

Eye asymmetry

So we would need to do a good physical exam to see if this is a ptosis problem. Ptosis means there is a problem with the muscle, nerves, or the attachment of the muscle that lifts the upper lid. Contacts are a known problem that can cause detachment of the upper lid muscle that lifts the lid. This can be reattached if that is the case. 

Every person has facial asymmetries if you look closely so it could also be a baseline issue that you just started to notice now that you were paying very close attention. Old photos can help to determine that. 

Ptosis is a dynamic process so we need to see you raise and close both eyes while measuring some lid and pupil marks. 

Hope this helps.

Best of luck.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unilateral eyelid drooping

Zorimar,

Old posting but still relevant question.  In my practice, contact lens wear is the most common cause of eyelid ptosis (drooping) in those under 60 years of age.  In your case I would advise discontinuing the contact lens and see if the lid elevates.  There could be reversible causes to your ptosis, such as lid inflammation.  If the lid stays low see an oculoplastic surgeon experienced in ptosis surgery.  Insurance may cover the procedure.  Cheers and good luck!

Hugo Higa, MD
Honolulu Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid assymmetry

There are many causes of eyelid asymmetry, which can include trauma, aging changes, congenital ptosis, brow position to name a few. I would recommend a consultation with an experienced eyelid surgery to properly examine you. There are several options for repair of eyelid ptosis or asymmetry.

Malena Amato, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Lifts Drooping Eyelids

First, I encourage you to stop blaming yourself for your drooping left eyelid. It is unlikely that wearing a contact lens in only one eye contributed to this condition. Drooping eyelids are caused by the loss of collagen in the skin and an atrophying of the underlying muscle that comes with age and sun damage It can be exacerbated by the sagging of forehead muscles, which lowers the brow skin. You are correct to think that blepharoplasty, ptosis repair, or a brow lift could help rectify the situation and give you a more open, brighter look. Which treatment would be best for you would depend on an individual consultation with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon who will evaluate your entire facial anatomy, not just the drooping eyelid.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon