How Can I Fix One Drooping Eye?

My eyes weren't always uneven. I did something stupid 6 yrs ago and wore one contact on my right eye for a couple of months. My left eyelid drooped, and my left eye looked smaller than my right eye. Is there anything I can do to make my eyes even again? Brow lift? Laser blepharoplasty?

Droop Eyelid Following Contact Lens Use

Your problem is probably related to a mechanical dysfunction of the eyelid. Perhaps the eyelid muscle has become weaker and needs to be tightened or lifted. This can only be determined by consultation with an eyelid specialist. If this turns out to be the cause of the "drooping" then there are a couple of surgical techniques that may be used to elevated the eyelid. Both procedures usually take under 1/2 hour to perform with minimal bruising and downtime. 

I hope you find this helpful.

This is a complicated question to answer without...

This is a complicated question to answer without examining you, as the options for correction of this problem include blepharoplasty, browlift, or even a ptosis procedure (a procedure for a droopy lid). The best advice I can give you is to seek out a plastic surgeon in your area that is familiar and comfortable with eyelid surgery so that he or she can give you the best options for correction, as the eyelids are best corrected at the first procedure. Second opinions are also a good idea in situations such as these-- remember it's your eyes we're talking about, so find the surgeon you're the most comfortable with.

Dr. S

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Droopy eyelid

A droopy eyelid can be caused by various things.

1. Nerve: nerve damage can cause a droopy eyelid

2. contacts: contact lens wearers can weaken the muscles that lift their eyelids and cause them to droopy

3. Age: Sometimes the muscle that lifts the eyelid can become weak over time

4. Mechanical: If there is a stye or bump on the eyelid from a growth that can weigh down the eyelid and make it droopy

5. Medication: Various medicines but most commonly botox if injected near the eyelid can cause it to become droopy. This wears away with time

6. Allergic reaction: In patients who have eye allergies or even contact lens related allergies, an eyelid can be droopy

The best bet is to see an ophthalmic or oculoplastic plastic surgeon to get this sorted out.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Denver Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fixing one droopy eye

If your eyelid margin (where the lashes are) is lower on one side, that's called ptosis (p is silent) and can be due to a variety of factors. A thorough eye exam will reveal the cause and the extent of the droopy lid and as long as the muscle that raises the lid is strong, the lid can be re-positioned surgically in an outpatient procedure called ptosis repair. This is best done by an oculoplastic surgeon who has specialized training in surgery of the eyelids. 

Michael Loeffler, MD
Pompano Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Unilateral eyelid drooping

Zorimar,

Old posting but still relevant question.  In my practice, contact lens wear is the most common cause of eyelid ptosis (drooping) in those under 60 years of age.  In your case I would advise discontinuing the contact lens and see if the lid elevates.  There could be reversible causes to your ptosis, such as lid inflammation.  If the lid stays low see an oculoplastic surgeon experienced in ptosis surgery.  Insurance may cover the procedure.  Cheers and good luck!

Hugo Higa, MD
Honolulu Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid assymmetry

There are many causes of eyelid asymmetry, which can include trauma, aging changes, congenital ptosis, brow position to name a few. I would recommend a consultation with an experienced eyelid surgery to properly examine you. There are several options for repair of eyelid ptosis or asymmetry.

Malena Amato, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Lifts Drooping Eyelids

First, I encourage you to stop blaming yourself for your drooping left eyelid. It is unlikely that wearing a contact lens in only one eye contributed to this condition. Drooping eyelids are caused by the loss of collagen in the skin and an atrophying of the underlying muscle that comes with age and sun damage It can be exacerbated by the sagging of forehead muscles, which lowers the brow skin. You are correct to think that blepharoplasty, ptosis repair, or a brow lift could help rectify the situation and give you a more open, brighter look. Which treatment would be best for you would depend on an individual consultation with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon who will evaluate your entire facial anatomy, not just the drooping eyelid.

Droopy eyelid

This is a difficult question to answer without an examination.  The most likely cause is separation of your eyelid margin from the muscle and tendon that lift it. If that is the case a ptosis repair should be possible to repair it.  Sometimes only one eyelid is droopy but there is a hidden problem on the opposite side that needs repair at the same time.  A good examination will determine the possibilities.

Wayne F. Larrabee, MD

What can I do to fix one eyelid droop?

From your description it sounds like you have a drooping of the eyelid itself caused by the stretching of the muscle responsible for lifting the lid. This is called ptosis. Well most treatments are centered around surgical intervention, there are also some nonsurgical options. 

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can fix one drooping eye

The quick answer is YES.  But more importantly, need to find out exactly why and what is drooped (eyelid skin vs actual eyelid).  There are serious medical conditions that can cause unilateral or one sided droopiness.  Assuming no other medical condition, and it's strictly a ptosis (eyelid droop) problem, a ptosis repair can be performed and there are various ways to achieve the result depending on how much "droop" there is.  

Johnny Mao, MD, FACS
Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon