How Can I Fix One Drooping Eye?

My eyes weren't always uneven. I did something stupid 6 yrs ago and wore one contact on my right eye for a couple of months. My left eyelid drooped, and my left eye looked smaller than my right eye. Is there anything I can do to make my eyes even again? Brow lift? Laser blepharoplasty?

Droop Eyelid Following Contact Lens Use

Your problem is probably related to a mechanical dysfunction of the eyelid. Perhaps the eyelid muscle has become weaker and needs to be tightened or lifted. This can only be determined by consultation with an eyelid specialist. If this turns out to be the cause of the "drooping" then there are a couple of surgical techniques that may be used to elevated the eyelid. Both procedures usually take under 1/2 hour to perform with minimal bruising and downtime. 

I hope you find this helpful.

This is a complicated question to answer without...

This is a complicated question to answer without examining you, as the options for correction of this problem include blepharoplasty, browlift, or even a ptosis procedure (a procedure for a droopy lid). The best advice I can give you is to seek out a plastic surgeon in your area that is familiar and comfortable with eyelid surgery so that he or she can give you the best options for correction, as the eyelids are best corrected at the first procedure. Second opinions are also a good idea in situations such as these-- remember it's your eyes we're talking about, so find the surgeon you're the most comfortable with.

Dr. S

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Droopy eyelid

A droopy eyelid can be caused by various things.

1. Nerve: nerve damage can cause a droopy eyelid

2. contacts: contact lens wearers can weaken the muscles that lift their eyelids and cause them to droopy

3. Age: Sometimes the muscle that lifts the eyelid can become weak over time

4. Mechanical: If there is a stye or bump on the eyelid from a growth that can weigh down the eyelid and make it droopy

5. Medication: Various medicines but most commonly botox if injected near the eyelid can cause it to become droopy. This wears away with time

6. Allergic reaction: In patients who have eye allergies or even contact lens related allergies, an eyelid can be droopy

The best bet is to see an ophthalmic or oculoplastic plastic surgeon to get this sorted out.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Denver Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fixing one droopy eye

If your eyelid margin (where the lashes are) is lower on one side, that's called ptosis (p is silent) and can be due to a variety of factors. A thorough eye exam will reveal the cause and the extent of the droopy lid and as long as the muscle that raises the lid is strong, the lid can be re-positioned surgically in an outpatient procedure called ptosis repair. This is best done by an oculoplastic surgeon who has specialized training in surgery of the eyelids. 

Michael Loeffler, MD
Pompano Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy eyelid

This is a difficult question to answer without an examination.  The most likely cause is separation of your eyelid margin from the muscle and tendon that lift it. If that is the case a ptosis repair should be possible to repair it.  Sometimes only one eyelid is droopy but there is a hidden problem on the opposite side that needs repair at the same time.  A good examination will determine the possibilities.

Wayne F. Larrabee, MD

What can I do to fix one eyelid droop?

From your description it sounds like you have a drooping of the eyelid itself caused by the stretching of the muscle responsible for lifting the lid. This is called ptosis. Well most treatments are centered around surgical intervention, there are also some nonsurgical options. 

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can fix one drooping eye

The quick answer is YES.  But more importantly, need to find out exactly why and what is drooped (eyelid skin vs actual eyelid).  There are serious medical conditions that can cause unilateral or one sided droopiness.  Assuming no other medical condition, and it's strictly a ptosis (eyelid droop) problem, a ptosis repair can be performed and there are various ways to achieve the result depending on how much "droop" there is.  

Johnny Mao, MD, FACS
Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Droopy lid

You likely have ptosis - this can be repaired externally or internally.  A test can be done in office to see if you are a candidate for internal approach to ptosis repair called a muellerectomy.  If it obstructs your vision an objective visual field test can be performed to see if it is involving your superior field of vision enough for insurance to cover it.  Good luck!

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy Eyelid On One Side

Physical examination is required to be able to recommend a specific procedure.

The most likely explanation may be a gradual loosening of the structures that hold the upper eyelid in place on one side - a condition called ptosis. Correction requires a ptosis repair. It is important to make sure that the condition is not the result of a muscle disorder before considering surgery.
One brow can also be more droopy relative to the other for a variety of reasons. Surgical correction with a brow lift generally helps to improve symmetry.

Excess upper eyelid skin can lead to a tired droopy appearance but this usually occurs on both sides. Asymmetry of the bony structures around the eyes can lead to an apparent excess of upper eyelid skin on one side. Upper eyelid lift or blepharoplasty may be effective for improving symmetry.
These conditions often appear together and lead to discussions about which procedures to do and in what order to do them.

J. David Holcomb, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid assymmetry

It is difficult to advise you without photos.  However, we commonly treat eyelid asymmetries with blepharoplasty and a variety of techniques used to raise or lower the crease.  We can also alter fullness of the eyelid by removing or adding fat.

Bottom line, there are endless possibilities for you.  However you need to go to an experienced plastic surgeon who is well versed in treating asymmetries.

Gilbert Lee, MD