How Much Difference Will Reducing Bulbous Nose Tip Make?

Hi. I am considering getting Rhinoplasty (a "nose job") done to reduce the "bulbous-ness" at the tip of my nose. However, I am worried that I will look totally different to what I look like now.

Is it possible to get surgery, without looking like a totally different person after? Also, comments on my nose are welcome!

Thanks,
Daniel

Reducing a bulbous nasal tip

The tip of the nose can certainly be slimmed down. The goal with conservative surgery is to maximize the result while noe causing changes that appear done or feminized.

Also important with the tip is to leave enough cartilage on the sides of the nose so it does not collapse or look pinched; or if the cartilage is not correct, to corrrect it.

You seem to have irregularities and asymmetries that might best be addressed with an open rhinoplasty.

Bulbous nasal tip surgery

Surgery to reduce the bulbosity of the tip of the nose is a very rewarding procedure. However, in general, it can take up to a year or two to see the final results of tip reduction so patience is also required. How much you narrow the tip of nose depends upon personal preferences, however, in men I typically recommend avoiding a boxy or pinched tip since that tends to feminize the nose or make it look created. Also, refinement should match the profile which more pictures would be necessary to assess that. Finally, a masculine nasal tip typically is still strong and is not overly rotated upward but lifted up some as your frontal view shows it to be hanging. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Natural results after rhinoplasty

The modern-day rhinoplasty is geared towards creating a more refined appearance to your existing nose - not getting a new nose altogether.  Your nose appears to have a widened tip and base; refining both of these attributes will give you a more aesthetic version of the nose you already have, without changing your overall look.  Seek out a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon who you feel comfortable with.  I often create a simulation to "show" you what options you have so we are on the "same page" before operating.  That way, any differences in opinion on what would look best on you would be worked out PRIOR to undergoing surgery.

How different will you look?

Being concerned about the postoperative results and how different you look is a very common concern of rhinoplasty patients. What's more interesting, is that those patients who are very concerned that others will notice are indeed somewhat disappointed when no one actually notices!

It is hard to predict what other people's reactions will be.  I am from the belief that Friends will only notice a rather drastic change and may not even notice a bump being removed or a crooked nose straightened.   

My recommendation is to make the changes that you want and not worry about what others will think. Most people are engrossed within their own issues and don't have a very detailed recollection of your face. While it may be obvious with the before and after photographs sitting beside themselves, it is much less obvious without the before picture.

Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty...Reducing the Bulbous Tip While Maintaining Your Identity

Hi Daniel,

Yes, it is possible to have rhinoplasty, addressing the "offending parties" (as one of my Brit patients termed it) without drastically changing the rest of your nose. You can reduce the "bulbous-ness" (the offending party in your case), and still look like yourself (you will not need to re-introduce yourself to family and friends at the next party).

By refining your nasal tip, most likely the upper 1/3 of your nose will also need a subtle degree of refining as well. This can be accomplished with precise rasping. The key is choosing your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.

See the below web reference for further information on subtle rhinoplasty.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip rhinoplasty

As has been said, a proper evaluation of your nose requires a full set of non-smiling photos.  However, a tip rhinoplasty done by an experienced surgeon should be able to refine your tip without feminizing you.  Seek a few consultations with well qualified surgeons and ask their advice. 

Most patients still look like themselves after rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty should refine a nose but in most cases not make patients look dramatically different than before surgery. Radical changes can be made but are not usually necessary. What I find is that most patients go back to work and co-workers often don't notice they had surgery. Once people get to know you, they really don't study your face, once they see you its about recognition. One of the best comments I hear goes along the lines of "I saw an old friend from high school and they asked if I lost weight or changed my hairdo."

As for the photo you posted, it is difficult to fully evaluate the tip of your nose without non smiling, 3/4 and profile views. I suggest you seek out a qualified rhinoplasty specialist for an opinion on what you really need.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Tip Rhinoplasty for Bulbous Tip

A Nose Job (Rhinoplasty) is the most customizable operation in Plastic surgery. no one has the same nose and everyone has different things they wish changed on their widely different noses.

You have large and asymmetric lower lateral cartilages (more convex on the left) with what appears to be flaring. The tip can be refined, but you need to ask your surgeon not to make it too narrow or feminine. In itself that would give you the nose I THINK you are asking about.

In your case all you have to do is consult an experienced BAPS surgeon and tell him what bothers you and what you want. As such your face will not be transformed into a Michael Jackson meets Dorian Gray type nose - the kind the media loves to stoke the fears of the populace with.

Dr. P. Aldea

Nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be benefi

Greetings

nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgery may be considered if you have severe dissatisfaction with your nasal appearance and bulbous nasal tip..

Most people do not appear "totally different" after rhinoplasty surgery. One of the goals of rhinoplasty is to allow your nose to blend in and become less conspicuous. Even when significant alterations are made to one's nasal appearance, the result may not be specifically noticed by friends, other than a generally improved appearance.Hope this helps.Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon