Difference Between a Consultant and an Associate Plastic Surgeon?

Im looking for a good surgeon for rhinoplasty but I am not in America and i dont know how to find one who is fully qualified. What is the difference between a consultant plastic surgeon and an associate plastic surgeon?

Doctor Answers 7

Difference Between a Consultant and an Associate Plastic Surgeon?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Consultant physician in the British system is a physician who has finished a number of years training and practicing particular specialty and is able to practice independently. That is equivalent to a residency trained physician in the U.S. For further info. please contact British Medical Council.

Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon

Associate vs. Consultant Plastic Surgeon Difference

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi malteser,

Most surgeons in these forums are US physicians. The categories Associate and Consultant are used in the British Medical System. Both categories can work independently, but it appears that Associate category may have less administrative burden. See the link below for more information. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 89 reviews

Consultant vs Associate Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I was an overseas Consultant in Plastic Surgery in the UK for about 8 years, while practicing Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery here in Beverly Hills.  Consultants have acheived a higher level of training and experience along with board certification in a specialty.  It's a bit different system than here in the US.

Experience in Rhinoplasty is something that you will have to ascertain on a surgeon by surgeon basis just like here in the US.  Just because a particular plastic and cosmetic surgeon is a member of a specific board, does not guarantee experience in any one procedure like Rhinoplasty.  Have several consultations with surgeons of good reputation and go from there.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Difference between consultant and associate plastic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In general, a consultant is not a doctor, but usually a member of the medical staff with enough experience to give you some information about a particular procedure and give a general assessment.  An associate plastic surgeon is a trained plastic surgeon.  Sometimes plastic surgeons work together or share an office.  If you see a practice or physician you like and their is any confusing terminology, I'd recommend you contact the office and ask. I'm sure they'd be happy to explain and answer any questions you may have.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Best rhinoplasty surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While terminolgy may be confusing in any country, one thing is certain.  The best rhinoplasty surgeon is the one with the best training and the most experience.  A facial plastic surgeon is one who is trained in Otolaryngology (medical and surgical treatment of the ears, NOSE and throat) and Facial Plastic Surgery.  Surgery that is done to change the outside appearance of the nose may inadvertantly or necessariy change the inside function of the nose.  A facial plastic surgeon has expertise in both.

Best of luck in your decision.

Dr. Michelle Yagoda,

NYC Facial Plastic Surgeon and Otolaryngologist

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon

Type of plastic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The terms you are referring to I believe are terms used in the British System.  In the US you want a board certified plastic surgeon that you can find in the ASPS or ASAPS websites.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Consultant and Associate are titles used in the UK.  In the US what you should look for is a Plastic Surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who specializes in rhinoplsty.

Armen Vartany, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.