Arm lift and breast reduction combination?

Can a person. .african american. ..get an arm lift and breast reduction at the same time safely? How much harder is recovery and how long?

Arm lift arm reduction arm liposuction breast reduction multiple procedures recovery time African American

Hi Skinnyme53,
Yes,an arm lift or brachioplasty can be combined at the same time as a breast reduction.
For massive weight loss patients, typically first, I perform the lower body surgery.  This includes a tummy tuck or 360 body lift combined sometimes with a medial thigh lift. One to two months later, I will return to perform surgery on the upper body. Typically, this entails an arm lift or brachioplasty combined with a breast lift or breast reduction.
Usually, the arm lift takes 3 to 4 hours. Typically, bilateral breast reduction takes 3 to 4 hours.  Both procedures are performed under general anesthesia. Therefore, your surgery could take between six and eight hours. As long as you are healthy and cleared by your internist for surgery, I do not see any contraindications to performing both surgeries at the same time.
I think it is a wise idea to undergo arm lift or brachioplasty with a breast reduction at the same time. I think it is a good idea because your board certified, plastic surgeon can remove not only the excess skin and fat of the arm and the breast, but also in the area between the armpits and the breast. Often, there is an area of skin and fat that hangs over the bra strap line. This can be treated during the combined arm and breast surgery.
If you have a desk job, I would take off work for two weeks. If you have a job that entails a significant amount of lifting I would take off from work 3 to 4 weeks. Often, the arm lift or brachioplasty and breast reduction are covered by medical insurance.
Please seek a board-certified, plastic surgeon who specializes in arm lifts and breast reductions.  In addition, please insist on seeing pictures of arm lifts and breast reductions in patients of your skin type.  Be sure your board-certified plastic surgeon has experience with African-American patients.
I hope this answers your question regarding arm lift or brachioplasty  and breast reduction surgical options.
If you have any questions, please not hesitate to contact my office. Sincerely, Dr. Katzen

These are two compatible operations and can be safely done at the same time as an outpatient. It will be important to select a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and performs this particular combination on a regular basis. The length of recovery for each of these procedures is relatively the same. Consequently if they are done at the same time your total recovery should be the same as it would be for each procedure alone. Very likely you will be advised to restrict the use of your arms for up to 2 weeks. Recovery will continue from there and you should be able to resume full activity, including upper body exercise by 6 weeks. Good luck

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Yes, can be combined

Yes, these procedures can be combined. This will result in a longer surgery, but it should still be less than six hours long to minimize anesthesia time. Keep in mind that combining these surgeries will leave you with a larger area of your body that feels sore and uncomfortable during your early recovery (breasts and arms). However, your overall recovery time should not be affected by combining the procedures. I suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your wishes and options in further detail. Best regards.

Jaime Perez, MD

Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Combining procedures

In many cases, it is possible to combine these surgeries.  One of the determining factors is the extent of the tissue that needs to be removed.  The recovery time shouldn't be much longer, if any when combining the surgeries.  You will have some limitations as far as lifting goes, so you may need some help with dressing changes and daily activities.
I would recommend a visit to a board certified plastic surgeon who can provide you with more information on these procedures and help you determine if combining the two is appropriate for you.  Best wishes!

Camille Cash, MD

Arm lift and breast reduction surgery at the same tim.

Yes, you definitely may have both surgery performed at the same time. Everyone perceives pain differently, the arm lift may cause you more pain then the beast reduction. Recovery time should not be affected having both surgery simultaneously. 

Aras Tijunelis, MD
Libertyville Plastic Surgeon

Combining breast reductin and arm lift

Thank you for your question about your arm lift.

• Yes, assuming the surgery is a reasonable time, an arm lift and breast reduction can be done at the same time.
  • Breast reduction and arm lifts do not usually cause severe pain - but you will be sore, swollen and uncomfortable.
  • Because of the arm bandages and discomfort, it is hard to do things for yourself but the length of recovery should be the same whether you have one procedure or two.
  • The two areas will heal at the same time.
  • Being Afridan American, ask your surgeon about pre-treating your skin with 4% hydroquinone to reduce the risk of skin discoloration.
  • That aside, if you are in good health, there should not be a difference in healing between Asians, African Americans and Caucasians.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Multiple surgeries in one surgical setting are common nowadays because of their cost-effective nature.  Nevertheless, a good rule of thumb is to perform elective procedure/s under six hours to minimize the toxicity risk from general anesthesia. 

Go to a board-certified plastic surgeon who will perform physical exam to determine if you can both have arm lift and breast reduction at the same time without resulting in undue risk. 

Good luck and best wishes.