Lipoma removed. Hit head on healing scar. Now I have a "new" bump. Is it hematoma?

I had a lipoma removed on my forehead. I hit my head on the fridge door less than two weeks after my surgery. I JUST got my sutures taken out when this occurred. I have a new bump on my forehead right below the incision line. I'm doing the massage scar treatments w/ vitamin E oil and doing clockwise/counterclockwise circular motions w/ the tip of my finger multiple times a day. What other treatments can I do to dissolve this new, undesirable bump?

Lipoma removed. Hit my head and now I have a "new" bump. Is it a hematoma?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your head trauma.  Without an in-person examination or full series of photographs it is difficult to offer definite advice as this may be a hematoma or could be swelling from the original lipoma surgery.  A hematoma tends to be more sensitive and tender and feels somewhat firmer than tissue swelling.  I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an in-person evaluation, they can diagnose the cause and perform any needed treatments in their office.  Hope this helps.

#Lipoma removed - now a hematoma?

Most likely it's just some swelling at the site, and may not even be related to the lipoma (you should of course check with your own ps to be sure).  The head is a very vascular area and, as such, it doesn't take much trauma to have bleeding, swelling or both.  In the unlikely event that some bleeding got into the site it may need to be drained.

But this is unusual.  Probably keeping some pressure on the site, ice to diminish swelling and pain medication if needed is all that's indicated.

Along with touching base with your own PS.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf500