Chalazion on upper eye lid. What can I do? (Photo)

I have a chalazion for the past 25 days on my left upper eyelid.Its Size changes every now n then.But hot compresses makes it bigger at times.I am scared of the surgery what to do??

Doctor Answers 3


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Glands that create oil called meibomian glands line your eyelid. Sometimes, one of these glands begin to create a thicker substance like butter instead of oil and causes the gland to become blocked and inflamed. This is called a chalazion.

Unfortunately, the biggest thing is to remember to have patience as chalazions usually last months and can last for a full year.

The best thing to do is warm compresses. The best way to do this is by taking uncooked rice, putting it into warm sock and heating it in the microwave for 15 seconds. Make sure this is NOT hot but comfortably warm. These compresses cause the gland to open and yes can make it bigger or come to a head.

In addition, there are drops you can use, but at this point I do not believe will do anything.

Lastly, if you go see an oculo-plastic surgeon, you can see if either injecting it with a steroid and anti-inflammatory medications or surgically removing it maybe a good option for you. The risks of these procedures are bleeding, which is bruising, that can last for several days and swelling which can last for a few weeks.

Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Chalazion Cysts Respond Well To Injections Of Triamcinilone

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I have successfully been treating chalazion cysts with the injection of triamcinolone (an anti-inflammatory agent). They typically do not resolve on their own and while some physicians recommend frequent warm compresses and anti-inflammatory and antibacterial eye drops, these typically prove ineffective in my experience. One injection session and occasionally two may be required to promote complete resolution, which generally follows in one to three days following treatment. Best of luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

See an ophthalmologist for this.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This can be addressed with a small surgery.  Alternatively, a kenalog injection may resolve the lesion.  This is not likely to resolve on its own.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.