Deformed Earlobe Otoplasty? (photo)

Hi, Im 20 years old and as long as I can remember I used to be teased at school for my ears, I have large ears and aside from that they my ear lobes look twisted. Even in hot days I have my long hair down in order to hide them. I live in new york, I would like to know and estimate for the reduction and correction of my ear lobes. Most of the otoplasty cases I seem are used to correct potruding ears and this is not my case, I would like to find the right surgeon for my case.

Doctor Answers 10

Earlobe reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

An earlobe reduction is a stand along procedure without needing to perform an otoplasty.  The earlobe reduction can be performed under local anesthesia and costs approximately $1,475 to do both ears.  Earlobe reductions typically take approximately a half an hour to perform.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

Large Prominent Ear lobes can be Corrected with Otoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your main concern seems to be with your earlobes sticking out or protruding, and with their size being larger than you like.


There are in office procedure using local anesthesia techniques that I use to reduce the size and can be modified or combined with other otoplasty techniques to pin the earlobes back.


The cost will vary depending upon exactly what is going to be done, and ranges from several hundred dollars to a two thousand dollars, or more.

I suggest that you go for  a consultation where you can be examined.  Then a full discussion of your options will be discussed and a  price established.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe Setback

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Interestingly you have a protruding earlobe while the rest of the ear has a normal angular relationship to the side of the head. This is probably because the main ear portion has a cartilage component while the earlobe does not. Anatomy aside, this can be fixed by a simple earlobe setback achieved by a fishtail skin excision on the back of the earlobe. This is often done in standard otoplasties as the earlobe must often be setback as well as the cartilage of the protruding ear. But it can be applied to just a protruding earlobe alone as well.

You may not be able to reduce the size of your ears, but you may be able to have your ear lobes corrected.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

In general, otoplasty surgery is helpful for repositioning your ears closer to your head, not reducing their size. Your ear lobes appear "twisted", but without examining you, it's not clear what's causing this. It appears conceivable to have a procedure with local anesthetic to improve the appearance of your ear lobes so they appear less twisted. You may want to consult several reputable specialists to determine what might be best for you. is a good place to find certified specialists near you.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 435 reviews

Twisted ear lobe correction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It seems that if your ear lobe is released from its attachment to the neck (and possible made slightly smaller), your ear deformity would be corrected. Looking at your second photo it may seem that you also need a setback procedure which brings the pinna closer to the head. Any plastic surgeon, and especially the one who is experienced with otoplasty, should be able to help you achieve great result.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Otoplasty questions

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Ear lobe and ear deformities are quite common.  From viewing your photos it appears that an otoplasty is indicated.  At the same time the shape of your ear lobe can be corrected.  There is, at times a piece of cartilage, called the tail of the helix that can cause the earlobe to protrude.  An evaluation by a plastic surgeon is in order. 

Jeffrey Zwiren, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Deformed Earlobe Otoplasty?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The ear lobe deformity is one area that is not addressed too often and needs special attention in cases like yours. There are several procedures for correction of ear lope malpositioning with posterior approach. A front or back photo will help determine if setback procedure is needed.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty can help

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Ear lobe and auricular cartilage reshaping is a common procedure for your condition.  A Facial Plastic & Cosmetic Surgeon is well trained to help give you improvement via various approaches to otoplasty.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Earlobe reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From your photos, it appears that you would do well with an earlobe reduction. This should help to decrease the "twisting" that you don' tlike. In my NYC office, this is done under local anesthesia and the scar is well hidden. Give my office a call and I am happy to evaluate you.

Earlobe Reduction?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question and pictures.If your main concern is the size/shape of the earlobes, below production surgery may be helpful. This operation must be planned carefully so that the resulting scar is as well hidden as possible.  In my experience, a good place to plan for the incision line is along the lower ear lobe ( but not disturbing the junction of the earlobe  its attachment to the cheek).

I would suggest that you meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation.

Best wishes.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.