How to avoid infections after tummy tuck and breast lift/reduction?

So I've been looking at a lot profiles that have people with infections and opened up wounds at the insesion line after TT and Breast lifts/reduction. It's really freaking me out and I want to know what I can do to avoid it.

Hi. I give antibiotics before and afterwards. This, however, does not preclude the possibility of an infection. There are other factors to consider such as wound healing. Wound healing and a subsequent infection. Wound healing requires an oxygen rich environment. Patients who smoke, are diabetics or are on steroids are at a higher risk of developing healing problems. I hope this helps. Good luck Dr. PG

Preventing infections after tummy tuck and breast lift surgery

There are risks associated with every surgery.  Wound problems typically occur when the skin is pulled too tight after surgery and the wound breaks down increasing the risk of infection.  Every surgeon has their own pre and post operative protocols for patients to follow.  By following your surgeons guidelines closely you can minimise your risk.

TT/Breast lift

These procedures normally heal very well with a very low risk of infection.  Risks increase with tight wound closures, therefore, planning for adequate but not excessive skin and soft tissue removal is important.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Best wishes, Dr. T.

Avoiding complications with breast lift and tummy tuck

The key to minimizing risk working with a skilled surgeon who has a lot of experience.  In the best hands complications can still occur, so be sure you choose a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who can show you a comprehensive portfolio of his/or work.

Infection after surgery

The infections in plastic surgery procedures fortunately have a very low incidence rate. To avoid them is advisable to take profilactic antibiotics recommended by your surgeon after the procedure, keep wounds clean and dry and not start early routine activities. Best of luck.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Fortunately, the incidents of wound infection for Body Contouring operations is low relative to other major surgical procedures. Every Surgeon has his/her pre-operative, intra-opertaive, and post-operative protocols to address this risk. You should discuss this with your  chosen Surgeon when the time comes. Keep in mind- infection is always a risk with ANY operative procedure.

Thank you for sharing your question.  In most cases of incision breakdown after operations that require creation of large skin flaps, such as tummy tucks and breast reductions, breakdown occurs due to undue tension and not an infection.  Be sure to address your concerns with your surgeon, they can help identify any of your specific risk factors for wound breakdown - such as smoking - that can be modified to lower your risk.  Hope this helps.  

Preventing infections after a tummy tuck or breast lift/reduction

Usually infections result from other causes such as skin breakdown.  Skin breakdown can occur from the skin being pulled too tight or making the flap too thin on breast cases.  On tummy tucks, injuring the important blood vessels up top is the main problem.   Visit a doctor that does many with good results.  Best of Luck.  Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

How to avoid infections?

The main reason for open wounds after a tummy tuck or breast reduction is that a lot of tension is usually placed on the incision lines which occasionally leads to wound breakdown.  Infections are less commonly the cause of the problem.  Your surgeon will likely administer antibiotics at the time of the surgery.  Beyond that, keep your incisions clean and dry, avoid excessive stress on your incision lines, and follow your surgeon's postoperative instructions.  Best of luck with your surgery! 

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Avoiding Infections after Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question.  The first way to avoid this is to choose an experienced plastic surgeon that will perform the operation in such a way as to avoid the problem.  This is really the surgeon's job.  The surgeon will also give you antibiotics, insist that you don't smoke, and give you some activity restrictions for after the surgery that you should follow.  Fortunately, the complication that you describe is not common. Best wishes.