Are Dark Circles After Rhinoplasty Permanent?

I am 4 weeks post op from Rhinoplasty and I have dark brown circles under my eyes that weren't there before. This is terribly distressing to me because my eyes have always been my best feature and I feel as if I may have ruined myself. Is this permanent, and if not, how long does it take to resolve?

Dark circles after Rhinoplasty sometimes lasts up to 6 months

The dark circles you describe are blood trapped along the orbital rim. The good news is that it is never permanent. The bad news is that it can last as long as 6 months. Don't worry about the shape or looks of your eyes, because the new nose will only enhance these looks as swelling and bruising resolves.

Good Luck!

Dark Circles While Healing

Dark circles under the eyes are a very common complaint that patients experience during the recovery stage of a rhinoplasty. The dark circles subside in most cases, but it is a gradual process that can take a few months. Considering you are still in the early stages of your recovery (you are only one month in, and recovery can last up to an entire year), try not to stress too much about it. In the meantime, you can try to hide the circles with cover-up or concealer.

Sam Rizk, MD

Dark circles after Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. Fortunately, what you are experiencing is very common. The dark circles will eventually go away. It may take about 6 months for them to go away completely. It is important to be patient. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel
Double board certified
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates
Barrinton
Oakbrook
Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Dark circles after Rhinoplasty

Dark circles under the eyes usually occurs after rhinoplasty. It is not permanent, but may take 6-10 months to resolve in unusual cases. Whether you are male or female a minimal amount of inconspicuous, professionally selected make-up will be helpful.

They will go away.

This is normal and they will go away. It usually takes 6-12 weeks, but I have had a rare patient take more than six months.