Do puffy nipples go away? (photos)

I'm 15 and I've had them since I was 11 and I want to know if there is anything I can do to get rid of them. I'm tired of my chest looking like this.

Concerned About Puffy Nipples at Age 15

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions.

Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.
"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.
Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. 
Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 1

Puffy nipples

This can be very bothersome at your age.  The good news is that some resolve after puberty.  If it is too emotionally debilitating to wait it out I advise you to see a board certified plastic surgeon to review options.

Tim Neavin, MD

Do Puffy Nipples Go Away?

You have a very common condition called Gynecomastia. I would not worry about it at this time. Since it is possible that this may become less with time. If that does not happen over the next few years there is a fairly common surgical procedure that removes the extra tissue. 

All The Best!

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Common Problem

Dear Games1500,

Your puffy nipples are a reflection of a condition you have called gynecomastia (“woman-like breasts”). This is a very common problem with the onset of puberty, and the age you describe is consistent with this. It is a very common process, but typically if it has not gone away in two years it is unlikely to. When you feel underneath the nipple and areola, you no doubt will feel firm tissue which is consistent with the glandular tissue. Only surgery is going to correct this.

This is one of the most common procedures we perform in my practice, and you can read a lot of information on our website.
I hope this has been helpful to you.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Prolonged Gynecomastia

Most men that develop gynecomastia at your age and continue to have it for more then two years are probably going to need to have it removed surgically if they are health men. Find experienced board certified plastic surgeon that does theses often for a consultation.

Good Luck

Will Puffy Nipples Go Away

Usually adolescent gynecomastia clears up on its own after a couple of years. For a few it becomes permanent and is only resolved by surgery. If your puffy nipples are causing you a lot of angst, I suggest you and your parents see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in gynecomastia for a consultation. It is possible to have surgery at age 15 with parental consent. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Gynecomastia Dallas

The gynecomastia as it is in your pictures will not disappear in my experience.

How should I choose a surgeon?Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully. The decision is yours. 

Mordcai Blau, MD

Puffy nipples during puberty

Puffy nipples or enlarged breasts can develop as a result of puberty and in many cases will go away over time, usually by the age of 18 or so. I usually advise my younger patients to wait until they are past puberty to consider surgical correction, however if the problem is causing serious emotional issues, I will discuss options with the teen and their parent before then. 

Do puffy nipples go away?

Hi there, 
there is a decent chance your nipples might reduce by the time you are 18
If you are really distressed, I think you should discuss this with your parents.
In my practice this is almost the only cosmetic surgery that i offer my under age patients as this distresses them so much that it can drive you to depression.
then meet a qualified plastic surgeon and get it corrected.
good luck